Upgrading to phpBB 3 in the future

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Garren

Upgrading to phpBB 3 in the future

Post by Garren »

I asked this same question over a year ago and I was wondering if I would still get the same responce. My appologies if this has already been raised since.

Is there likely to be any support to upgrade to a beta addition of phpBB 3 from what is currently available of this next-gen board? Or would I more likely be able to upgrade from phpBB 2 to Olympus?

Thank you.

code reader

Re: Upgrading to phpBB 3 in the future

Post by code reader »

if i understand correctly, you are asking about an upgrade path from current development version of v3 to the final release version.
if this is the case, the answer is simple: anyone who actually runs a "test" version of this board, should know enough to apply the required changes to the db structure whenever it is changed.
if you dont know enough to apply those changes yourself, you shouldnt be running it in the first place.
[[[ sorry if i misunderstood the question :oops: ]]]

Raq

Post by Raq »

How to upgrade from 2.0.17 (or upper) to Olympus? Will be it wrotte on phpbb.com?
Club & Dance -- Disco & House -- Techno / Trance
Bored today llllllllllllllllllll - 50%

APTX

Post by APTX »

No, it will be kept secret till christmas.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

APTX wrote: No, it will be kept secret till christmas.
lmao.. There will an upgrade script when the project reaches RC Stages i believe.. Not until then...

Graham

Post by Graham »

Correct, we will be releasing the upgrade script at some point around the RC1 release.

There will be no supported upgrade path from CVS snapshots to the supported releases
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Raq

Post by Raq »

Graham wrote: Correct, we will be releasing the upgrade script at some point around the RC1 release.

There will be no supported upgrade path from CVS snapshots to the supported releases
EoT, thx :D
Club & Dance -- Disco & House -- Techno / Trance
Bored today llllllllllllllllllll - 50%

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Graham wrote: Correct, we will be releasing the upgrade script at some point around the RC1 release.

and we will be able to upgrade from the release candidates to the final version too, correct?

Pit

Post by Pit »

I expect the schema will be frozen when the release candidate phase starts, or before. So there probably won't be much need for an upgrade script for RCs -> Final.

Graham

Post by Graham »

We will do our best to provide an update path from the RC releases to final (same as 2.0.x) but I'm not going to commit on the Beta one way or the other right now
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!