honestly..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Locked
magicfinger
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Re: honestly..

Post by magicfinger »

th23 wrote: ...but I just wanted to point out, that in the end (regardless wether its a paid board or an Open Source one or even a car or something else) always the user / customer is the one who decides...
actually i disagree with this ... we develop a closed source but free game sure we listen to the users opinion but that doesnt necisarrily mean that we have to to action any of these ideas

if your paying for a product that you are developing then sure you get whatever you want regardless of the consequences but when you are developing a free piece of software in closed development it is the the developers that have to decide the implications of making changes to the plan.
Last edited by dhn on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quotes
The Universal
________________________________________________________________
TRADE | EXPLORE |COLONIZE & MORE - Free MMORPG.

User avatar
th23
Registered User
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:26 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Re: honestly..

Post by th23 »

magicfinger wrote: actually i disagree with this ... we develop...
Actually that was not my point... no matter what you develop or produce... the customer always says if he likes it or not and therefore has the decision to buy/use the product or not...

However, all developers may do how they want. It wasn't my intention to criticise any ones decision or give any advice. I just wanted to bring this in mind... or (if Acid - what he just said - never had this in mind) to clearify...

magicfinger
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Re: honestly..

Post by magicfinger »

apologies for misreading your reply :)

now i read it in that context i agree :)
The Universal
________________________________________________________________
TRADE | EXPLORE |COLONIZE & MORE - Free MMORPG.

sirchmeister
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 pm

Re: honestly..

Post by sirchmeister »

Eh, but it -IS- everyones project. Product if you do not like the term Project, since the users themselves aren't working on it. Without a userbase there's no reason to really create a project of this scale. Of course by referring to it as MY was just obviously to satisfy my need to get a point across. It is indeed the developers project. My analogy was only to get the point across that we should only expect certain things. Just because you don't pamper us and give us the world shouldn't mean we should not appreciate your services. There, is that better? :mrgreen:

FF8Jake
Registered User
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:43 pm
Location: An arrangement of pixels on your screen.
Contact:

Re: honestly..

Post by FF8Jake »

Okay, now comes my official stoning by the phpbb community. :)

I know there have been phpbb branches before, as someone mentioned, but IIRC they have always been badmouthed by the staff(with good reason), so I quickly brushed the idea off.

After having the thought pop back up here, I was wondering if a branch might actually be a feasable idea for those of us who want to see phpbb 2.0.* updated. I recall that phpbb.com had problems with people coming there for support for other phpbb versions (Like phpbbFM), but were there any other major reasons those went bad?

Also, I recall the GPL saying in order to use phpbb's code, you have to give access to the FULL unaltered version too. Would this mean you would have to include it in your install package, or simply link back to the source of the original code?

I know a branch may not seem like the most "loyal to the phpbb project" thing to do, but i've also seen a lot of awesome projects out there that are branches from something else.

Could any of the staff give me a little input to your views on this?

code reader
Registered User
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Re: honestly..

Post by code reader »

FF8Jake wrote: Also, I recall the GPL saying in order to use phpbb's code, you have to give access to the FULL unaltered version too. Would this mean you would have to include it in your install package, or simply link back to the source of the original code?
and where, pray tell, does it say this? i think you missed this part.
otoh, talking about a possible branch on this forum, is not only shunned upon by "staff", it is plain and simple impolite (=== rude). i am not bs-moderating, but as a reader, i am asking you if you could please avoid it.
thx.

WBG4
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:15 am

Re: honestly..

Post by WBG4 »

dhn wrote:
th23 wrote: ...and - I think - nobody asks you (=developers/team leaders) to obey to what comes from the userbase, but honestly you should listen what the users prefer, because still the users/customers make the success of the project ;)
Oh, we are listening to the users. How do you think it was decided which feature is going to be in phpBB 3.0? Just by rolling dice? Of course, we also have the opportunity, to give the project the direction we want it to take. This is why there is no quick reply, a feature we fear will turn a forum into a chatbox. This is why we won't add numerous features that will only benefit a small part of the community.

And don't forget that all members of the phpBB group are part of the community and were taken into the team because their dedication and abilities to help the project.
FF8Jake wrote: I guess what i'm really asking for is a bit more communication
I agree that this is something we can improve, and that we have to look into.
In response to this, with all due respect, every forum i have been on with quickreply hasn't been that. PHPBB is the only major player that i can think of that lacks it. It should be a feature that can be turned on and off. Despite the fact if you like it or not quick reply is a large part of Modern forum sw. When i do i a phpbb install the first thing i do is hack in quick reply. Hacks cause upgrades to be a pain which in turn causes security issues with inturn makes your SW look bad. Just my 2¢

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Registered User
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am

Re: honestly..

Post by Techie-Micheal »

WBG4 wrote: In response to this, with all due respect, every forum i have been on with quickreply hasn't been that. PHPBB is the only major player that i can think of that lacks it. It should be a feature that can be turned on and off. Despite the fact if you like it or not quick reply is a large part of Modern forum sw. When i do i a phpbb install the first thing i do is hack in quick reply. Hacks cause upgrades to be a pain which in turn causes security issues with inturn makes your SW look bad. Just my 2¢
No, it is not our fault users do not update when there is an update out. It is not our responsibility to force users to update. We provide a number of methods to update to make it easier on those who MOD their installs to update, it is up to them to take that responsibility.

With regards to the other comment, I have been on many sites with quick reply and I could see a difference between a user using quick reply and a user using the full reply. Heck, even I have fallen in to that trap on sites that have quick reply. What trap? Posting one-liners, and not participating in the discussion at hand. There is a reason why it is called quick reply. It isn't meant for posting paragraphs, it is meant for posting one or two-liners, something not conducive to a dicussion board. If you want to add MODs to your board, great, we give you the tools and opportunity to do that, but it is up to you, the user to take responsibility to maintain your install. We give you plenty of tools (in my opinion, too many, but oh well) to maintain your install, it is now out of our hands and now in yours.

WBG4
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:15 am

Re: honestly..

Post by WBG4 »

If that's the attitude you want to have have it, but as things such as punbb get better, you will have some serious competition. Punbb is fast clean and secure. Is it still lacking? yes but it is getting better. I am just letting you know what your users want.

I will say that phpbb is getting better but come on guys

tiger2kn5
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:59 am
Location: US of A

Re: honestly..

Post by tiger2kn5 »

whats with everyone and the "I want this and i want it now" attitude. Seriosly let the developers do their work as they see fit.

I mean come on, im a user, i want features, hell i want my whole site to be integreated in the forum out of the box, so come on developers build my site for me :roll:

You all sound like little kids, you want something, and when u can't get it, you go off and cry. I don't if you have noticed but heres a link, take a good look at it. Look at all those modifications. IM SURE ONCES ITS RELEASED A MOD WILL BE MADE FOR THIS FEATURE THAT YOU ALL WANT.

Here i am, wishing the thing would get done and released as quick as possible, and the community just keeps on requesting and b******g about more features. Just let them do what they do best, and the moders would take over, and make the application give you pleasure if you want too :lol:
When i do i a phpbb install the first thing i do is hack in quick reply. Hacks cause upgrades to be a pain which in turn causes security issues with inturn makes your SW look bad. Just my 2¢
Upgrading is a pain with hacks?

take a look at this list

common.php
posting.php
ucp.php
viewonline.php
adm/admin_forums.php
includes/functions.php
includes/ucp/ucp_register.php
includes/ucp/ucp_activate.php
includes/ucp/ucp_artists.php
includes/ucp/ucp_artists_posts.php
includes/ucp/ucp_artists_music.php
includes/ucp/ucp_artists_pictures.php
includes/ucp/ucp_artist_settings.php
...

you know what that is? Those are the just 50% of all the files are modified so that my mod works perfectly with teh current CVS version of Olympus. And everytime a new commit is submited. You know how long it takes me to upgrade. Less then a minute. And that is with an alpha, unsopported, unreleased version. I can only imagine how painful it must be to upgrade a stable, supported version.

Sorry if i sound rude and harsh, but these types of thread just get me heated, seen people requesting things, and then complaining when they can't have their ways. Most of which don't have a clue how these things are developed. I mean these people waste time out of their lifes, stare at a computer screen for hours damaging their eye vision. and for what? to come to a place they created to enjoy some time and find a bunch of wining thankless users.

But you know what the funnies part is. that you all say that they HAVE to listen to your pleas becuase your the users and without you theirs no project. I rather have 1 supportive fallower, then 2 million or so complainers.

Locked