WOW! The developers came alive!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
trenzterra

WOW! The developers came alive!

Post by trenzterra »

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2657" target="_blank

was amazed when i looked at the tracker today!

ChALkeR

Re: WOW! The developers came alive!

Post by ChALkeR »

me too 8O
that's great :D
Sorry for my bad English....

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Most of the entries from the last couple of weeks have been bugfixes for the 2.0.x codebase. Some of them have been updates to Olympus, and there seems to be some work being done on the groups, which has looked to me for some time like the last major visible section to need major work. (This doesn't count myriad backend sections yet to be finished.)
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

They've been alive. However, as for checkins, it's 29-9 for phpBB2 in the last month ;)
The checkins to the Olympus codebase were only minor bugfixes that Bart checked in ;)
And for phpBB2: there were many bugfixes checked in, and there are many to come, that's why the CVS is very "active" at the moment ;)

Greetz
alcaeus

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Well all along I only saw either pso's or acyd's name, was surprised to see graham and bartvb commit!

anyway i found something weird today: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2657" target="_blank

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Seems like the code audit / bug tracker has paid off nicely :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

the_dan wrote: Seems like the code audit / bug tracker has paid off nicely :)
i dont believe any change that resulted from the audit had found its way into the cvs repository. just imagine, any twopence hacker can see a security-related commit, deduce the vulnerability, and knit a new exploit... not such a great thing.
afaik, all the commits to the phpBB-2_0_0 branch are fixes which were triggered by user-submitted reports to the bug-tracker. (about half of them by alcaeus ;) )

APTX

Post by APTX »

That woulnd't make sense. phpBB would be becoming closed source if the devs would do such things.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

code reader

Post by code reader »

APTX wrote: That woulnd't make sense. phpBB would be becoming closed source if the devs would do such things.
beg to differ.
in all the previous releases (well, i dont know about "all". let's say at least since 2.0.13, and probably before that) the cvs repository was only updated when the new release was made public.
this looks like a reasonable approach for security fixes, and i dont think it means that "the project is closed-source".
the recent cvs updates to the 2.0 branch are a break away from this tradition, and my interpretation is that this is because they contain bug fixes not related to security.
in any event, i dont see this as an important enough subject for a war, so, if you are not convinced, i wont argue any further... ;)

APTX

Post by APTX »

But you just said they don't add the fixes... the devs will add them when they see fit.
A fix that doesn't fix the thing it should fix can't really be called a fix, can it?
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!