Would this be a bad idea?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
tiger2kn5

Would this be a bad idea?

Post by tiger2kn5 »

I been sitting here at my office reading all the ranting going on. and all the speculation of "whats next" regarding paul's leave. When it occur to me. Why not realease a 3.0 lite?

ok ok, i know it sounds stupid and it might even be a bad idea. But think about for a minute.

I don't know how many people have been playing around with the snapshots but i have. And it seems to be very stable. The main visual board is just missing a couple of language variables amoung a few visual things that are missing. And the only thing that seems to be given alot of the problems is the administration panel (which i was able to fix some of the things, even with my mid-level php understanding). Ofcourse theres that list of features that need to be done before release. But do we really need a ranking function, WYSIWYG etc... sure it they would be nice, but not really necessary.

So why not fix the bugs that are present now, Finish any coding with the features that are in tact/almost finish (if any). release a beta test and then release as 3.0 lite.

This way the developers would get more time to work on the 2.0 audit. More time for the coding project. And the community would get a stable 3.0 even if its missing some features.

I know crazy idea, but what you guys think?
ScionCrow

Re: Would this be a bad idea?

Post by ScionCrow »

Though, not a bad idea, I personally wouldn't like this. True, many people keep asking when it will be released and there is no answer to this. The CVS snapshots are not stable. Though, you may think it is, but in reality they are not. Things are broken, things are not finished, and such...

Some of the requests such as WYSIWYG and Karma Ratings are good ideas... but not good enough to be hard-coded. Personally, I do like them in a way and wouldn't mind seeing them as a MOD or add-on. But, to implement these into hard-code is very difficult and I would rather see thes as a MOD and not hard-coded.

Trust me, many things need to be fixed in the current stages of Olympus.. it has yet to reach Alpha stages and so, lots of things will need to be fixed and enhanced. (Especially security)
A 3.0.0 'lite' version wouldn't be too bad to see out but in all honesty, I don't really prefer this. I can probably think a few people who would though. *shrugs*
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.
APTX

Post by APTX »

I've been thinking of something like this. Just fix the really obvius parts, stop the unfinished features and call it a semi-supported beta release. It would give the community something to play with and probably not much more :) unless some work woujld be shoved on the community.
ScionCrow wrote: Some of the requests such as WYSIWYG and Karma Ratings are good ideas... but not good enough to be hard-coded. Personally, I do like them in a way and wouldn't mind seeing them as a MOD or add-on. But, to implement these into hard-code is very difficult and I would rather see thes as a MOD and not hard-coded.
Unless the module system would be able to do such things...
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Short answer - no.

We will release 3.0 at such a point as we deem it ready - releasing software that we know to be unfinished would be a bad idea.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

I do agree in the bit about finishing it up with the current features. But the true problem is the dev team took too much upon themselves for the next version. When they realized 2.2 was going to be 3.0, they should have just wrapped up and called it a day. The new features could come in 2.4, and the complete one with all the fixings would come as 3.0. It would be more satisfying to people because they'd get more features and a faster/more secure BB system, and you'd get more releases out.
SamG

Post by SamG »

The reason 2.2 became 3.0 was because of the extent of the revision already in place. Once committed to such a major overhaul, it's hard to back out gracefully.

The development team did defer some planned features in order to complete the project sooner. We'll get the benefit of that move after 3.0 release.