What browsers will Olympus officially "support".

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
OddDuck

What browsers will Olympus officially "support".

Post by OddDuck »

Will Olympus drop support for NS4.x? What about Mac IE5?
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB
DavidMJ

Re: What browsers will Olympus officially "support"

Post by DavidMJ »

Lynx
Freedom from fear
CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla »

if you ask me, a good forum system should be fully compatible with w3c standards, browser-specific tags and such should be ignored, so everyone can enjoy phpBB in the best way possible. and LOL ofcourse lynx will be sort of a problem.. textbased browsers.. who uses those anyway?
Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

DavidMJ wrote: Lynx
DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

I am sorry but that page is not proper for lynx. Way too many different CSS markups. Try again... but with just plain text and the original html definition. The one that does not start with <html> but just tags (thats the first def ever written).
Freedom from fear
SamG

Post by SamG »

On a positive note, while Olympus has some issues under this theme, this topic renders pretty nicely in Amaya's alternate view. It'll be interesting to see the release theme and how that all pans out.

On Navigator 4, I'd be very surprised to see phpBB 3 support it out of the box (where emphasis is being given to semantically correct markup). Navigator 4 support would mean huge challenges to phpBB 3 theme creation, and I just can't see it being a priority.

But, I could be wrong. Maybe dhn or subBlue will pop in here and give us an official answer.
markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

I'm using Netscape® Communicator 4.8 to reply now. It doesn't look nice or the BBCode editor reports JS errors, but hey...

Browser support is not related to Olympus code, but a styles related issue.

PS: If curious, NS4 can be found at the Netscape Browser Archive.
SamG

Post by SamG »

Since phpBB 3 will ship with a theme, I think the point of the question is about how intentional NN 4 support will be in that theme.

I think the question a natural enough one, given past experience with subSilver being used as the basis for theme development, and given that subSilver went to some lengths to accomodate NN 4. Some are sure to have an interest in whether or not that effort is being continued with phpBB 3's default theme.
markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

NS4 does not support XHTML, it has very bad CSS support and it has its own DOM (document layers).

Writing a style NS4 compliant would require a lot of effort, and it would impossible to make it (X)HTML/CSS valid, which is the way to go IMHO. I don't think it worths to spend a second fighting to make things NS4 compliant these days. I would simply consider NS4 dead.

On the other hand, having the ability to dynamically assign a style depending on user agent would be nice. Something similar to what's being done for bots...
Graham

Post by Graham »

All I can say at this point is that the style was pretty much usable under IE 5.5 when I last tried it (and of course IE 6, Firefox, etc). I can't remember looking at it in NS 4 (and would have to connect up an old HDD and boot my Win98 install to even do so). I think you will be able to use a forum using it in NS4, but what it will look like I don''t know
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!