Beta or something

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
aajvs99

Beta or something

Post by aajvs99 »

is there going to be a beta that i can test for you guys or not?

Martin Blank

Re: Beta or something

Post by Martin Blank »

Yes, there will be. There is no date for the release of the beta, though, nor will there be any attempt to pin down a date for it by the devs.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

There will.
We were told last month that there was going to be an important announcement coming up soon, so hopefully we should see that soon, which may shed some light on a date. Maybe.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

We still have hope, patiently waiting, running tests on CVS updates when sporadically released, watching for any new forthcoming announcements, have been guessing and thinking the big day will still be this year for the beta announcement, etc. ...

Hosting Geek

Post by Hosting Geek »

Its not funny any more please understand how much time the devels have spent on the project,
phpbb3 has been in the development for 283,824,000+ seconds
now lets say the devels only use 1% of their time developing phpbb3 which goes into the final product (so they really would of spent a few extra % on phpbb3) as they do have their own lives and we will all agree 1% of their time is a lot.
that would mean they spent 283,824+ seconds and only developed 91,342 lines of code which is in the current product which means they spend around3 seconds on each line that is currently in the product which is a very good number as this post took me about 10min to type so its good to see our devels are not slow like me :lol:

Stelminator

Post by Stelminator »

Hosting Geek wrote: phpbb3 has been in the development for 283,824,000+ seconds

ok, I was a little confused by this at first. so, for anyone reading that, I think that was supposed to be 28,382,400 based on the "1%" calculation.

328 days is so far off. That's less than a year. phpbb3 (formerly 2.2) has been in development since 2003 (2002?). The CVS stat page even goes back to january 2003. Since a lot of the code didn't get written untill march (according to the graph), I'll count since the end of that. Let's see, 9 months in 2003, 2004, 7 in 2005, and 10 days this month. Roundabouts 2 years, 4 months. so... 73,440,000 seconds of developement, 734,400 seconds for 1%, and then we have something like 8 seconds per line.

however, based on what my proffessor for Software Engineering class said about how much debugged (i.e. clean, good, maybe production level) code a developer was expected to be able to produce in a day, the devs have spent much more than 1%. I don't remember what the number was, I just remember it was lower than anything anyone in the class guessed. And the reasoning stands even if you multiply the number of seconds by the number of devs.

Summary: Hosting Geek underestimated the amount of time the devs have spent on this project. I believe that was Hosting Geek's intent, I just wanted to illustrate how much (s)he underestimated. (I'm trying to say the dev's have put a lot of work into this project, not that they are slow at writing code.)

ChALkeR

Post by ChALkeR »

1% of 283,824,000 is 2,838,240

;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry for my bad English....

w3neo

Post by w3neo »

Not wanting to do the math I will just use stelminators 73 million second for the timeframe and his 8 second per line at one pecent of their time.

Now if we consider the 1.5 devs working on this we are up to abot 110 million available seconds during this period. At eight lines a second phpBB 3.0 could be up to 14 million lines of code by now if they had worked on it non-stop since inception, man this could have been bigger than windows... 8O

w3

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

well yeah all seconds could count, but if they (the devs) think about phpBB during a shower or during sex, then those few seconds, which the devs are entitled to, do not count as useful coding time ;)

Hosting Geek

Post by Hosting Geek »

3 devels so its times 3... I wish gnome-calc had history... then I can tell you exactly what I did.