code review for 2.x going to affect Olympus ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DK

code review for 2.x going to affect Olympus ?

Post by DK »

will the announced security code review fo 2.x affect anything in Olympus either addtl development time, etc. just curious.

ybart10

Re: code review for 2.x going to affect Olympus ?

Post by ybart10 »

Of course, this is quite obvious as this take some time to review the whole code of phpBB.

However, don't worry, IMHO it is a great thing for phpBB users since there is no release date for Olympus. The current phpBB base keeps this way a highly secured solution and they know the team takes care about them.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

I would assume that it shouldn't harm it too much. A good audit would exclude the original code writers from actually doing the audit, as its harder to pick up mistakes that you've coded; other people will find them far easier.

Assuming that the audit is being done correctly then, this would leave the developers time to work on 3.0, only needing to look back at 2.0.x to see what problems have been found and work out fixes for re-aduit and eventual fixing. Obviously this will add on time for making the fix, but since the devs shouldn't be doing the audit themselves, it shouldn't be too bad.

We shall see though, as has been stated there is no set release date for 3.0, and securing 2.0 is obviously a top prioirty.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Wert

Post by Wert »

Securing 2.0 is top priority I'd think since so many folks use it. and any improvements there will only make olympus better. So it's win/win as far as I'm concerned.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

DK

Post by DK »

==
Securing 2.0 is top priority I'd think since so many folks use it
==

well if 3.0 was out ....

===
Of course, this is quite obvious as this take some time to review the whole code of phpBB.
===

since it wasn't stated who,what.when.where why and how I'm quite sure it wasnt obvious, but ok.

===
However, don't worry, IMHO it is a great thing for phpBB users since there is no release date for Olympus. The current phpBB base keeps this way a highly secured solution and they know the team takes care about them.
===
I hate to break it to you, and I'm a huge phpbb supporter look at my reg date, but many people think phpbb is being passed by. Also many hosts and sys admins are recommending other produect now as more and more vulnerabilities turn up and no new version is released. I know its not true that it is stagnant, unfortunately in some circles it is being presented as being that way. I've been on the wrong end of that argument a couple times lately with some sys admins that I'm friends with.

ybart10

Post by ybart10 »

DK wrote: since it wasn't stated who,what.when.where why and how I'm quite sure it wasnt obvious, but ok.
Ok, I agree, it may be not immediately obvious, I'll give you 10 more seconds to think about it :mrgreen:
DK wrote: I hate to break it to you, and I'm a huge phpbb supporter look at my reg date, but many people think phpbb is being passed by. Also many hosts and sys admins are recommending other produect now as more and more vulnerabilities turn up and no new version is released. I know its not true that it is stagnant, unfortunately in some circles it is being presented as being that way. I've been on the wrong end of that argument a couple times lately with some sys admins that I'm friends with.
Despite appearences, I rather agree with you. Olympus is now developped since years and this is frustrating to not even have a release date at this time in order to make us tell the world "wait & see, it's coming soon!". That is the bad thing.

However the good thing is that every time a security issue is discovered, a patch quickly appears, and even this is not as great as an Olympus release date announce could be, you can say that to your friend :

"There is NO known security issue in current released phpBB2 code".

Sounds great isn't it ?

Thanks to the phpBB team, without them I would not be able to say that ;)

Whitegreek

Post by Whitegreek »

I think its good, not only does it mean that it'll be done properly but it'll also won't be rushed which means there'll be less fixes and updates. Yes that means a long time to release but take into the account the amount of coding nesscary, I've read over the 2.0 code and theres a fair chunck of it. Then its testing it then its making it compatible for mods. and styles.

I'm guessing a release date close to Christmas or as earluy as November.