updating

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
smardy

updating

Post by smardy »

just a question, once 3.0 comes out and we can update to it, will our forums settings (for the catagories and forums) still be there and will our posts still be there?

b3rx

Re: updating

Post by b3rx »

a conversion script will be provided once the beta is out so that conversion from 2.0.x to 3.x will be easy. that means it will retain all your information in the previous version. boards will alot of mods installed will much likely have a hard time converting.
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

A conversion script will be provided when the RC stages are reached I believe.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

psoTFX wrote: There will be an integrated upgrade script for 2.0.x -> 3.0.x during the beta cycle.
** but we will have to wait and see what all is actually included in the beta and the RCs **

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

cyberCrank wrote:
psoTFX wrote: There will be an integrated upgrade script for 2.0.x -> 3.0.x during the beta cycle.
** but we will have to wait and see what all is actually included in the beta and the RCs **
But then:
Acyd Burn wrote: The UCF will not be introduced by the first beta releases, because we do not want people upgrading their forums at this stage. It will be introduced by the first RC releases though.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

I won't have too much trouble if I have not too many database-based mods right?

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

You should have little trouble if there are no modifications to core tables, or if your changes do not alter the database at all. There is no guarantee for this, however, so make sure that you have a full backup and can pull things back if necessary.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

the_dan wrote: But then:
Acyd Burn wrote: The UCF will not be introduced by the first beta releases, because we do not want people upgrading their forums at this stage. It will be introduced by the first RC releases though.
Yeah and Acyd may have more to say about it than psoTFX now too (especially now that Acyd is the front-seat driver ;)). But it seems unwise to postpone a critical update script for those willing to test it and to test it with larger forums which could simply be a duplicate database copy used solely for testing and not going into production during beta, but we will see who the real driver is as the beta and RC roll around... I also feel that the final 3.0 Style should be tested too in late beta(s) or RC(s) and not wait until gold release to find a number of problems on some system types outside of their limited internal statistical ensemble used for testing...

Graham

Post by Graham »

I can assure you that the update script will have been tested several times before the RC point anyway ;) (as a team we've tried the current version of it on a few large databases already).

However, you are very unlikely to see the update script (or convertors - which is effectively what the upgrade script will be) before RC1 and you won't see the new style before release (although again it will have been tested before that point)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Whitegreek

Post by Whitegreek »

I'll probably end up downloading the coverison tool. My only issue will be if some things are changed and taken away from the old one like bold text for an example if could mess it up a bit. I guess its a wait and see senerio, are you guys actually going to take away old features and replace them with new features that work better? If so would this make converting it all screwy?