Anyone else enjoy reading the commit logs?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Aldenhier

Re: Anyone else enjoy reading the commit logs?

Post by Aldenhier »

MKruer wrote: I am waiting for one of them that says something to the effect “Oh $#!^, undo, undo… Awe (%@) no, no, go the other way…” followed by then next update that’s says, “Sorry guys, I toasted the entire repository, have to start from scratch”
:mrgreen:
now that was hilarious! :D :mrgreen:

dioncecht

Post by dioncecht »

NOOOOO, this was not me, you have not seen this... damn trapfalls... the bears are rumbling, try to access brain ... access denied.
hehehe

Natan

Post by Natan »

Hey, you gotta stay sane somehow!
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Tomba

Post by Tomba »

logs are indeed quite fun, however there don't seem to be many these days...
I even have a bookmark on the commit log page and every week I go see if there is anything new, and lately I'm rather often dissapointed :( :(

I just wonder... I myself am creating a CMS on my own and I simply love doing it. Since there are close to no commits recently, I really ask myself if there is still any passion in phpBB :?:

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Tomba wrote: logs are indeed quite fun, however there don't seem to be many these days...
I even have a bookmark on the commit log page and every week I go see if there is anything new, and lately I'm rather often dissapointed :( :(

I just wonder... I myself am creating a CMS on my own and I simply love doing it. Since there are close to no commits recently, I really ask myself if there is still any passion in phpBB :?:
You never know - they could be working on plenty "offline". Given that, once they do post the commits, you may be deluged with the changes!

tiger2kn5

Post by tiger2kn5 »

WOW, haven't been really checking it out much in the past month or so, i see lots is going on, and that the admin panel is now moved to be a module rather then a separete panel all together, makes adding your own "site" admin options together with the forum admin panel much easier. THANKS GUYS i take back what i said before about the new module system not being much different then the previous one that was used in the CVS

I don't know about anyone else, but when i saw this line i couldn't stop laughting
HOLLA! Whats this s**t!...
:lol:

im still laughting as i write this. Some how it makes acydburn sound like a rapper type guy. ( I don't know if he is, just never crossed my mind till now)

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

The stuff that is in CVS is not what the big boys are using. They have tons up their sleeves ;)
Freedom from fear

code reader

Post by code reader »

DavidMJ wrote: The stuff that is in CVS is not what the big boys are using. They have tons up their sleeves ;)
just wonder: where did this piece of trivia come from? i am not debating it, as i dont have any knowledge of the subject, but, otoh, i allow myself some healthy skepticism regarding any piece of unsubstantiated information ;)

and btw: assuming this is really the case, it points even more strongly to an issue many people harped about in the past (and were more-or-less-forcefully silenced): this is only possible when you have very few developers.
it is practilcally impossible (not to mention inadvisable) to have significant ammounts on uncommited code when the nunmber of developers actualy justifies the use of the word "team".

and last, a plea to those david calls "the big boys": if you really do have "tons up your sleeves" as david says (and i hope he doesn't mean anything rude by that), please commit it to the cvs.
there is no guarantee that the cvs code even works, no support, and no bug-reports, so i can't see any reason to hold off commits, even of work-in-progress.

Stelminator

Post by Stelminator »

code reader wrote: it is practilcally impossible (not to mention inadvisable) to have significant ammounts on uncommited code when the nunmber of developers actualy justifies the use of the word "team".
I agree with statement. However, please entertain the possibility that they may not be using sf.net as the primary cvs archive.

Since it does seem like they try not to break things too bad in sf.net, I am willing to guess that there is at least one "offline" repository for changes. Probably one common one for the reasons you describe. Also, since this board is based on code != sf.net cvs, there's probably some version control for it. There may or may not be local (i.e. personal) cvs for each team member.

And since they keep saying there's a lot of "behind the sceens work" and all seem to be experienced developers, I'm willing to assume they actually have the team coordination thing figured out.

This post is not inteded to be an attack, merely a description of what I believe to be a reasonable idea. I have no facts to back up any of my assumptions.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

I stillread the commit log a bit, I got a bit of a shock one commit with 350 lines and one with 300 yesterday, from differant developers. And a third developer even made a checkin on that days aswell (admittadly only 2 lines but its a bug fix, which is always more tricky cause you actually have to find the problem)

And about CVS, when I worked at a software company last summer it allways annoyed me when someone checked in code that wouldn't compile, as when I cvs update'd and the make'd I would get an error, now I know that is very differant with php as php does ot compile and you can have several files work and only one break and it still remain mostly useable, where as with C and using make one file breaks,make breaks, program breaks.

Developers having individual CVSes though? seems a bit odd, if its a mojor enough change to need to commit it into a CVS system then why would it be only for them it would more likely be a shared one surely? maybe they share another CVS between them, maybe not I guess we will never know. Maybe the devs are reading this and laughing at these conspiricy theory style commits. All I care about is I see commoits in the log, and the code is increasing week by week, which means we must be getting closer to the eventual release, and every step closer is a good thing in my book. Keep up the good work guys, 350 lines in a commit is very good in my view (but then I don't know muchabout this kind of thing though) but anyway two thumbs up and a hearty congratualtions to all the developers of phpBB, and to the othet members of phpBB who do a good job.