End of the year?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
APTX

Re: End of the year?

Post by APTX »

Roberdin wrote: Firefox uses the same method and is accurate to within a few seconds 90% of the time here.
Well both will be accurate at some point couse their prediction changes every second... but the first prediction is in 99% totally false. I can prove it by starting another DL to screw the statistic.
I (IMO) think that predicting something, which is influenced by many factors, using only one factor is pointless especially if we are not certian of all the factors.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Their prediction changes each second because more data arrives each second. It would be entirely inaccurate if it maintained that the download would be complete in seven seconds for twenty minutes.
Rob
APTX

Post by APTX »

You mean the DL speed changes. That is not really predicting, it's math. The really hard thing is to predict how and when the speed will change.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

My DL speed remains pretty constant.

I would be disappointed if the prediction didn't involve maths, tbh. :P
Rob
Phil911

Post by Phil911 »

Why the hell are people comparing phpBB 3 to firefox. The phpBB group was wrong in their ETA --way way way wrong-- but other things came up which they had to deal with first. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done by now, you can think to yourself if a project such as this should really take 2 years. But it's pointless to compare them unless phpBB made a post every day saying how long it would be.
Black_Hole

Post by Black_Hole »

the_dan wrote: But you can't see that.
CVS is NOT an accurate measure of how much code there is.
I know its not, major features won't be checked in until they are finished... I was also judging off the list of their features
DMoran

Post by DMoran »

As has been said before, who knows?

Sort of looking at late 2005-2006 Beta and RC, and 2007 for final, if one were to just randomly hypothesise :P
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Phil911 wrote: Why the hell are people comparing phpBB 3 to firefox. The phpBB group was wrong in their ETA --way way way wrong-- but other things came up which they had to deal with first. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done by now, you can think to yourself if a project such as this should really take 2 years. But it's pointless to compare them unless phpBB made a post every day saying how long it would be.
I think you missunderstood peoples posts... We were referring to the method used to estimate download times... Not the actual running of the project
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

I have resisted it for months, but I'm thinking of switching to FireFox to help estimate and speed up downloads via bypassing slacker networks and to better estimate and speed up the 3.0 development and get the beta sooner via FireFox. Well -- I may not get the beta any faster even with better estimates via FireFox, but at least it may not hurt to switch to FireFox unless it is indeed buggy and has security problems; hmmmm - I think I'll just stick with IE and wait for the beta to arrive at the "normal" time... ;)
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Unfortuantley cyber crank I think your good humour may be wasted on 99% of this community, but then again 99.99% of all statistics are made up on the spot :D