What is left to be done?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cwbullet

What is left to be done?

Post by cwbullet »

I a downloading the CVS this weekend after a period of being away from my testing board and this board. On returning here, I was impressed. It is very nice. I see the coding has hit a nader. I am not asking the staff when it will be done. I just want to know what to expect when I downlaod the CVS.

Chuck

Alagba

Re: What is left to be done?

Post by Alagba »

Hmm interesting thought. Why download the CVS when the devs can tell me what to expect in it? Why ask the devs what to expect when I'm going to have a copy and see things for myself? :-)

blobber

Post by blobber »

Alagba wrote: Hmm interesting thought. Why download the CVS when the devs can tell me what to expect in it? Why ask the devs what to expect when I'm going to have a copy and see things for myself? :-)
It's probably the same reason why most people ask many questions when they're purchasing a car - it's not a matter of being able to "figure it out" one day, it's a matter of easily obtaining that information right in the beginning of their purchase, also depending on the type of "customer", most manufacturers will be able to tell you much more about their product than the ordinary customer will be able to figure out - even after a while ...

Apart from that, some sort of simple tabular status report or at least a basic roadmap has been requested pretty frequently meanwhile, so far to no avail - so you best bet is probably going to be to ask many specific question but target them at other users, rather than the phpBB team themselves - preferably after having checked out the obvious features (i.e. via this board, and via a locally installed CVS version - for the ACP/MCP stuff)

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

That is pretty much it. I would like to know what is missing and what is yet to be done so I can get a view of the software as a whole while testing.

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=274012" target="_blank

Just remember there is no support and bug reports aren't accepted at this time.
Eric

w3neo

Post by w3neo »

wGEric wrote: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=274012" target="_blank

That post is just shy of three months old and as far as I can tell has not been updated (no last edited ect).

I would hope some ground has been covered in that time.

w3

stu15

Post by stu15 »

w3neo wrote:

I would think you will find that they are still working on that & every thing else....
stu15> Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk || Volvo Ocean Race Talk - Talk All about the Volvo Ocean Race || America's Cup Forum

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

w3neo wrote:

That post is just shy of three months old and as far as I can tell has not been updated (no last edited ect).

w3
You might note the CVS statistic tool at the bottom of the page and the lines of code done every month, keeping in mind that commits to CVS is likely not the real progress being made since they work on this offline on thier computers behind the scenes.

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

blobber wrote: It's probably the same reason why most people ask many
questions when they're purchasing a car - it's not a matter of being able to "figure it out" one day, it's a matter of easily obtaining that information right in the beginning of their purchase, also depending on the type of "customer", most manufacturers will be able to tell you much more about their product than the ordinary customer will be able to figure out - even after a while ...
I'm sure you'll be able to talk to the developers and get precise and satisfactory answers to your questions on what to expect of the current development stage of the car you're planning to buy when it becomes available.
Car Manufacturer wrote: Well, we've got a completely new motor in it, it's still in test stage, like the carburator is sucking oil instead air, and it seems 3rd gear still jumps into reverse now and then (nothing serious by the way). But basically it works if you know how to demagnetize the sparkplugs (oh, almost forgot the new type we installed somehow messed up something with the brakes - we haven't patched that yet)
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

blobber

Post by blobber »

warmweer wrote:
blobber wrote: It's probably the same reason why most people ask many
questions when they're purchasing a car - it's not a matter of being able to "figure it out" one day, it's a matter of easily obtaining that information right in the beginning of their purchase, also depending on the type of "customer", most manufacturers will be able to tell you much more about their product than the ordinary customer will be able to figure out - even after a while ...
I'm sure you'll be able to talk to the developers and get precise and satisfactory answers to your questions on what to expect of the current development stage of the car you're planning to buy when it becomes available.
Well, nice try (particularly, the plural - "developers" ;-) ) - but somewhat pointless, this was merely a very simple and admittedly probably really not wisely chosen analogy to illustrate the way of thinking of hundreds of phpBB users ... this didn't necessarily reflect my personal opinion, merely some of my observations. Also, I'm fortunately quite able to dive into the source code to get answers - if necessary, however you cannot expect anybody to be fluent in PHP.

If I were that eager for the final release of phpBB3, I would either be definitely in the position to be able to afford waiting for another couple of months - or simply reflect my requirements by actually paying for a software that I seem to require so urgently, thereby simultaneously purchasing a customer relationship with all its politeness. =)

But even apart from my very thick skin, I really couldn't care less for the final phpBB3 release date: as I said already earlier, in order to manually update our current (phpBB) board, I'd have to spend way too many hours to get things sorted out, (heavily MODded) - so phpBB3 is certainly not going to be a viable option for our board anytime soon - (un?)fortunately.
Hence, I'm rather afraid of the actual release - because our users would certainly want us to upgrade ASAP.

Additionally, you guys won't believe how extremely stimulating and interesting it is to watch all this rumbling from a psychological point of view ... ;-)

So, don't worry about me - my questions were indeed satisfyingly answered :-)