What will happen to this board?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
trenzterra

Re: What will happen to this board?

Post by trenzterra »

Micheal wrote: Moving back on topic now, I believe it has already been said here that once 3.0 gets released (no, not in years ...), this board will turn in to 3.1.
Meh, the devs said the same thing back in 2003 and 2004. I wonder whether Longhorn will arrive before phpBB3... But anyway I'm willing to wait :mrgreen:

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Got that right! I am still waiting.
hmm....

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

Okay.. bringing logic into the conspiracy theory stuff:

*IF* aliens, extraterrestrial junk or any of that type of thing were to exist at area51 (or anywhere else for that matter) it would PROBABLY either be underground (far enough to beat things like infrared imaging and stuff) in space somewhere (look, since we don't actually SEE what goes on in space outside of some in-house video footage they really could be lying to us) or inside of a really big building (pentagon, maybe the white house.. somewhere so blatantly obvious that you can hide in plain sight).

As far as the drained lake thing goes - I've done *NO* research on whether or not it happened, but *assuming* it did, there's a number of good reasons why that would happen. A number of geological/seismic events can do that (minor earthquakes opening holes to underground caverns, drains all the water underground... oversimplified but that's the basic gist) as well as tapping for irrigation/municipal uses (Never heard of anyone actually draining a whole lake like that tho) and basic evaporation/climate changes.

As far as photography goes: Satellite imaging is a relatively new concept - early imaging would have required planes and/or ground imaging with conventional photography. Even satellite photography hasn't gotten good enough for *quality* imaging until pretty recently.. 15 years-ish tops (without the research handy. I'd venture to guess about 10). Since the supposed "incident" happened in the 50s (50 years ago) there's been a *LOT* of time to hide things from aerial photography.

In WWII (Only about 10 years before this whole thing) they used to put fake towns, with like box houses and fake cars and stuff on top of things so aerial photography would get messed up - this is the approximate tech level we're dealing with, not satellite pictures and space-shooting lasers.

And back on the conspiracy side.. the government probably has something to muck up satellite imaging anyways :P

:)

SFG

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

kieroth_whiteleaf wrote: As far as the drained lake thing goes - I've done *NO* research on whether or not it happened, but *assuming* it did, there's a number of good reasons why that would happen. A number of geological/seismic events can do that (minor earthquakes opening holes to underground caverns, drains all the water underground... oversimplified but that's the basic gist) as well as tapping for irrigation/municipal uses (Never heard of anyone actually draining a whole lake like that tho) and basic evaporation/climate changes.
I've already PM'ed him some information on it. In short, such a lake cannot exist there. The pan evaporation rate out there is 105 inches per year, and the place gets only about four inches of rain per year. Every drop of water in 1000 square miles flowing into said lake would be enough to keep it filled -- at a rate of 12 inches of rain per year, which is three times what it gets. I've also found maps of the area from long before then (turn of the century), and there are no such lakes in the area on those maps.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Martin Blank wrote:
kieroth_whiteleaf wrote: As far as the drained lake thing goes - I've done *NO* research on whether or not it happened, but *assuming* it did, there's a number of good reasons why that would happen. A number of geological/seismic events can do that (minor earthquakes opening holes to underground caverns, drains all the water underground... oversimplified but that's the basic gist) as well as tapping for irrigation/municipal uses (Never heard of anyone actually draining a whole lake like that tho) and basic evaporation/climate changes.
I've already PM'ed him some information on it. In short, such a lake cannot exist there. The pan evaporation rate out there is 105 inches per year, and the place gets only about four inches of rain per year. Every drop of water in 1000 square miles flowing into said lake would be enough to keep it filled -- at a rate of 12 inches of rain per year, which is three times what it gets. I've also found maps of the area from long before then (turn of the century), and there are no such lakes in the area on those maps.
I've also PM'ed you back saying I would be willing to compare notes but no response :? I've been wrong before.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

The US never landed on the moon...
AHHHHHHHHHHH

(Is smothered under flying counterarguments)
(Please let this thread continue, it's a source of comic releif!! :lol: )

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Spectral Dragon wrote: I've also PM'ed you back saying I would be willing to compare notes but no response :? I've been wrong before.
I did respond -- the next day, in fact. It's in my Sentbox and not Outbox, so I presumed you had read it.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.