Can't wait!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dioncecht

Can't wait!

Post by dioncecht »

I have downloaded a few of the snapshots and have been watching the progress of Olympus and all I can say is WOW! It really is a world different than 2.0.x!! I can hardly wait for it to be released.

On another note, I have been poking through a couple threads every couple weeks and every once in awhile I see someone posting something rather blunt or rude about the timetable and the release date of this project. When are people going to realize that you guys are doing this voluntarily without pay and you have real jobs to pay for the computer, electricity, and 2 litres of Mountain Dew that allow you to actually devote whatever free time you can to this project that you are basically giving away for FREE? I, for one, appreciate whatever effort you put into this because it is an outstanding package that pretty much blows everything else our of the water and I appreciate the reasonable price.

I know it blows everything else out of the water because I've used it all before and PHPBB is the ONLY one that has been consistently stable. Despite how stable 2 is, here they are developing another release that looks very promising and full of great features.

Kudos to the PHPBB Development team! They are doing this for us out of the kindness of thier hearts! They asked us what we wanted and they are putting that into a nice littel package for us to use. They don't have to and are under NO obligatioon to do so.

You dev guys are awesome! Looking forward to seeing this baby in beta when you finish it.

stubbers

Re: Can't wait!

Post by stubbers »

That's what I keep saying!

nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

Giving it away for free? Give me a break. I've heard this so many times and i'm sick of it.
Phpbb.com is a highly popular site that generates a massive amount of traffic. On just about every page of this site there are advertisments bringing in revenue.
With that stated, the hosting for this site is donated to phpbb so that isnt a factor. So where is the money going that is coming from all of these advertisements? I'm not going to predict what kind of revenue is generated from these ads, but i'd be willing to bet its pretty substantial, and its obviously going into somebodys pocket. :roll:

nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

BTW: According to Alexa phpbb is getting anywhere from 50-70 million pageviews per day. Do the math. A normal google click through percentage is 1%. Even if they made $.01 per click that would be some big big big money.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

nastynotch00 wrote: BTW: According to Alexa phpbb is getting anywhere from 50-70 million pageviews per day. Do the math. A normal google click through percentage is 1%. Even if they made $.01 per click that would be some big big big money.
I'm guessing that their click-through percentages are much lower than average, because most people here are website developers or end-users of phpBB, not casual surfers or shoppers. Thus, visitors here are more inclined to read posts, not seek out some little advertisement in the margins - the ads here are very understated. Finally, I wonder how much a click-through is really worth - I'm guessing it's more like a hundredth of a cent, not an entire penny. Now we're talking maybe $15 - $70 a day max.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

rivaldo wrote: Finally, I wonder how much a click-through is really worth - I'm guessing it's more like a hundredth of a cent, not an entire penny.
A single click can vary from $0.01 to a couple of dollars for some sites. (For the google ads, at least).

nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

True, google ads can vary widely. I've found them to be worth $0.15-0.60 a click.

How do you come up with 15-70 dollars a day max? If you do the math its much much much much much much higher than that.
Lets assume their click through rate is 1% and lets assume their page views are only 10 million a day (much lower than the 40-70 million they usually get) that would mean they get 100k clicks a day. Even at 1 cent a click they are making a $1000 a day. That is with assuming they are only getting 1/4-1/7th of their usual pageviews, and assuming they are only getting $0.01 per click. Both of which are really low numbers. Put it this way, if somebody told me that the devs were making a MILLION+ dollars (each?) a year i wouldnt be surprised.
Now if i could only find a "hobby" like that. 8O 8O 8O

3000dark

Post by 3000dark »

now now money doesnt come into it were are just lucky to have devs like this they could probly make more if they worked for money like we had to pay them for the boards (confused? me to)
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 160 an error if any 1 can tell me how to fix it in the phpbb3 code pm me

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

nastynotch00 wrote: Lets assume their click through rate is 1% and lets assume their page views are only 10 million a day (much lower than the 40-70 million they usually get) that would mean they get 100k clicks a day. Even at 1 cent a click they are making a $1000 a day. That is with assuming they are only getting 1/4-1/7th of their usual pageviews, and assuming they are only getting $0.01 per click. Both of which are really low numbers. Put it this way, if somebody told me that the devs were making a MILLION+ dollars (each?) a year i wouldnt be surprised.
Now if i could only find a "hobby" like that. 8O 8O 8O
I doubt the clickthrough rate is anything near 1%. 0.01%, maybe.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Guys, they're not making anything close to that kind of money, or else they wouldn't be working their normal jobs as they do.

All of this speculation on money earned is idle and largely uninformed. We don't know where whatever money for these ads goes. For all we know, they could be simple barter -- provide us with XYZ service, and we provide you with free advertising. It happens all the time. Getting worked up about random numbers thrown around is pointless.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.