Can't wait!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
wGEric

Re: Can't wait!

Post by wGEric »

dvduval wrote: To really clear things up, it would be great to know the amount received for the text link ads on phpbb.com since the amount received is negligible (as expressed by Paul), and way way way way less than my estimate.
Do you go to a local business in your area and ask how much money it brings in and get an answer? If you ask a neighbor how much he/she makes, do they give you an answer? No. That is confidential information.
I could certainly quit my job on a site much smaller than phpbb.com.
A PR 9 with the kind of traffic phpbb gets could easily support 5-10 people.
Do you believe me?
Shall I give real life examples of sites that are much smaller where people quit their jobs?
You need to realize that we aren't in this for the money. If we were, phpBB probably wouldn't be free.
Eric

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

dvduval wrote:
wGEric wrote: For those that still don't have a clue what the money is used for, read
Paul's post

. Although if you didn't read it the first time, you probably won't still won't read it.
To really clear things up, it would be great to know the amount received for the text link ads on phpbb.com since the amount received is negligible (as expressed by Paul), and way way way way less than my estimate.
And anyone believing we could all "quit our jobs" and live on said income ...
Do you believe me?
Shall I give real life examples of sites that are much smaller where people quit their jobs?
I don't understand:

a) Why this is an issue; phpBB is free to its users and will remain that way. If you don't like the speed of its development and for that reason are questioning its income intake, then you are 100% free to use another message board.

b) Why you believe that your (dubious) data applies to every single site that employs Internet advertising; I have managed several sites serving millions of hits a month and upwards of 40 requests per second and neither myself nor my clients (to my knowledge) have received even close to the amounts you believe phpBB makes in a month.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

dvduval wrote: wGEric wrote:For those that still don't have a clue what the money is used for, read
Paul's post

. Although if you didn't read it the first time, you probably won't still won't read it.

To really clear things up, it would be great to know the amount received for the text link ads on phpbb.com since the amount received is negligible (as expressed by Paul), and way way way way less than my estimate.

Quote:And anyone believing we could all "quit our jobs" and live on said income ...

Do you believe me?
Firstly I agree with the last 2 posters, the finances of the project is NONE OF OUR DAMMED BUSINESS. Look, I beleive Paul when he says that the site dosen't make that much money. How can you tell them it would be safe for them to quet there jobs, how do you even know how much these guys make.

If they where to fully support themselves I can just image a phpBB.com where you can't see the content through the ads. I think it's time you dropped this argument and foudn something better to do. I just can't see why you are going on about this, it's unimportant and INCREADIBLY irrelevant, the topic starter has already specified he would lock this topic if he could, please just drop the whole thing and find something a little more constructive people!!

espenhh

Post by espenhh »

I guess this link is interesting for you: http://www.phpbb.com/ads/adinfo.php" target="_blank ... I don't thing you can get more information than than one...
Espen

(Huge thanks to the phpBB-developers!!!)

Need Norwegian support????

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

dvduval wrote: To really clear things up, it would be great to know the amount received for the text link ads on phpbb.com since the amount received is negligible (as expressed by Paul), and way way way way less than my estimate.
As per espenhh, look and you shall receive.
dvduval wrote: Shall I give real life examples of sites that are much smaller where people quit their jobs?
Did I ask for examples? No, I didn't ... I stated the situation with phpbb.com. I couldn't give a flying fig what "other sites" can achieve, I stated what phpbb.com achieves. Our aim is not one of racking it in ... sorry some people here cannot grasp that idea but there ya go.

This topic has run its course, you've all got your answers and that's that.