Can't wait!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
wGEric

Re: Can't wait!

Post by wGEric »

http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/in ... mode=60day" target="_blank

I don't know the exact values but I don't think we are getting 10 million page views a day ...
Eric

theamazingTWOeyedman

Post by theamazingTWOeyedman »

Seems to me that is for sourceforge ONLY not for the actual website, which is where the ads are. I dont really care if they're getting money, since they're not getting it from me so i dont care :mrgreen:
Hosting? - mlhosting.net

dioncecht

Post by dioncecht »

Who freaking cares who gets what money? The phpbb site is nowhere near loaded with thousands of ads everywhere. They've gotta pay for the server somehow. Tell me, how much have you paid for phpbb?

I've been using it for 4 years and I have not spent one single penny on it. If your so bent on whining about something, at least whine about something useful, not how much revenue a site is making on the side while they provide end users with a useful software package free of charge.

Besides, your speculating and assuming and making baseless accusations without knowing ANYTHING about how they get reimbursed for the little bit of ad space they provide. Until yopu have fatcs to back any of this up, you just look like a fool.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Everyone, this topic seems to have gotten of the original track, thanking the devs. The amount of cash raked in by the websites adds has been speculated upon many times before, and frankly, I don't think it's any of your goddam business how much these guys get. Paul has said once before in terms of salaries how much time they are giving to the project, and trust me, I don't think that they would make that much combined out of the ad revenue. So let's try to keep on topic.

Congrats to the devs, phpBB is coming, and it will get here, one day... :lol:

dioncecht

Post by dioncecht »

Right you are. Basically, I started this to give a littel Kudos to teh Devs. Great job and I am totally looking forward to 3!!

(if i could lock this topic, i would)

nastynotch00

Post by nastynotch00 »

I absolutely love how all of you are complaining about my speculating when you are all doing the exact same thing. For the longest time i've read post after post about how the devs make "nothing" from this and it is total BS.
the_dan wrote: I doubt the clickthrough rate is anything near 1%. 0.01%, maybe.
Do some research before you decide to chime in. It has been posted many times before on various websites that a "normal" google click through rate is 1%. Its what i get on three different sites, and its also what i've seen many other sites get. Dont get me wrong there are sites that get more and there are sites that get less.
dioncecht wrote: Who freaking cares who gets what money? The phpbb site is nowhere near loaded with thousands of ads everywhere. They've gotta pay for the server somehow. Tell me, how much have you paid for phpbb?

I've been using it for 4 years and I have not spent one single penny on it. If your so bent on whining about something, at least whine about something useful, not how much revenue a site is making on the side while they provide end users with a useful software package free of charge.

Besides, your speculating and assuming and making baseless accusations without knowing ANYTHING about how they get reimbursed for the little bit of ad space they provide. Until yopu have fatcs to back any of this up, you just look like a fool.
Nobody said the site was loaded with ads so where did that come from? They get their hosting for free, and dont give me the line about the paying for the server because it doesnt cost anywhere near what they are getting from the ads posted.
I dont know where you get that i'm "whining", all i was stating was the fact that they ARE making money. I belive YOU are the person who doesnt know ANYTHING about the "little bit" of ad space they are providing. If you would do just the slightest amount of research youd find that with their click through rate they are definately making a decent amount of money from this site. It doesnt take a genius to put the number together and figure it out.

I love how all of you are getting all hyped up because i'm talking about how much the devs make. Its just too funny. BTW i never said anything against these guys, and i love phpbb. I dont care if they make a billion dollars a day as long as they keep giving this script away for free.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

nastynotch00 wrote: I absolutely love how all of you are complaining about my speculating when you are all doing the exact same thing. For the longest time i've read post after post about how the devs make "nothing" from this and it is total BS.
the_dan wrote: I doubt the clickthrough rate is anything near 1%. 0.01%, maybe.
Do some research before you decide to chime in. It has been posted many times before on various websites that a "normal" google click through rate is 1%. Its what i get on three different sites, and its also what i've seen many other sites get. Dont get me wrong there are sites that get more and there are sites that get less.
dioncecht wrote: Who freaking cares who gets what money? The phpbb site is nowhere near loaded with thousands of ads everywhere. They've gotta pay for the server somehow. Tell me, how much have you paid for phpbb?

Nobody said the site was loaded with ads so where did that come from? They get their hosting for free, and dont give me the line about the paying for the server because it doesnt cost anywhere near what they are getting from the ads posted.
I dont know where you get that i'm "whining", all i was stating was the fact that they ARE making money. I belive YOU are the person who doesnt know ANYTHING about the "little bit" of ad space they are providing. If you would do just the slightest amount of research youd find that with their click through rate they are definately making a decent amount of money from this site. It doesnt take a genius to put the number together and figure it out.

I love how all of you are getting all hyped up because i'm talking about how much the devs make. Its just too funny. BTW i never said anything against these guys, and i love phpbb. I dont care if they make a billion dollars a day as long as they keep giving this script away for free.
So, we got a site here that makes a lot of money. Take a guess how much it costs to maintain. All those views means LOTS of money for bandwidth.

Who cares about this. Frankly most people are not going to click the ads. They might generate about 70 bucks a day that way. It probably takes about 70 dollars a day to run the site?

Well, you can worry about this if you want. In my view this is pointless.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I'm sure that this forum is attracting more and more idiots by the day...

Graham

Post by Graham »

Please excuse me whilst I roll around the floor laughing :lol:

If the ads made anywhere near some of the figures people are making up in this thread, so you honestly think the developers would need to have a job and work the hours they sometimes do at that job?

As we said at the time, the ads were being added to the site to pay for it's running, and they would never be obtrusive. And that's precisely what it gets spent on - paying for a new server or hardware changes to a server, and costs related to the development or running of the project (not all software needed is necessarily free you know ;) )
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

APTX

Post by APTX »

The money goes on everything except the most important part of the project... the devs. Dang, they are really doing it for the community.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!