Google Web Accelerator & Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
akurashy

Re: Google Web Accelerator & Olympus

Post by akurashy »

There are a lot of problems with google accelator, I really don't suggest anyone use it as it can be harmful

I was readign ZefHemel's Blog found out that he posted a article about it, and here what he said
Google’s newest product is the Google Web Accelerator, which says to make browsing the internet faster. That’s great, isn’t it? Absolutely. Unless you know how they implemented it and the absolutely catastrophic consequences of this.

Ok, so, how does the Google Web Accelerator make browsing faster? It’s quite simple actually, it prefetches pages. If you’re on a web page it will look for links on that page and load them in the background already, so that if you click them they’ll appear instantly. It’s simple, and probably also effective. There’s one tiny problem, however, as the guys at 37signals.com found out:

Here’s the problem: Google is essentially clicking every link on the page—including links like “delete this” or “cancel that.” And to make matters worse, Google ignores the Javascript confirmations. So, if you have a “Are you sure you want to delete this?” Javascript confirmation behind that “delete” link, Google ignores it and performs the action anyway.

So, if you end up with an empty database after visiting phpMyAdmin, or all your weblog posts are gone, you know where to look.

To summarize:

DO NOT INSTALL GOOGLE WEB ACCELERATOR!

There.
I guess we have to wait for google to fix it :mrgreen: , yet web accelator are useless 8O

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

Wow, wouldn't that clear out all of you webmail and such also if you were using it.

Black_Hole

Post by Black_Hole »

stubbers wrote: So wait, google can cache restricted sub-forums, can't you lock google out using permissions
its not google, its other people that have already viewed a page, then you can view it faster because google has cached their view of it

dhn

Post by dhn »

Black_Hole wrote:
stubbers wrote: So wait, google can cache restricted sub-forums, can't you lock google out using permissions
its not google, its other people that have already viewed a page, then you can view it faster because google has cached their view of it
The forum will receive the requests via google IPs, so it is possible (if one knows the range) to filter out Web Accelerator users and ask them to turn it off for the forums. Alternatively I hope that they'll be adding a message to the User Agent for the HTTP request that could simply be parsed and therefore easen a recognition.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

dhn wrote:
Black_Hole wrote:
The forum will receive the requests via google IPs, so it is possible (if one knows the range) to filter out Web Accelerator users and ask them to turn it off for the forums. Alternatively I hope that they'll be adding a message to the User Agent for the HTTP request that could simply be parsed and therefore easen a recognition.
My version of WA updated itself sometime last weekend and just stopped working on sites that I had to login at. You would type in your credentials, log in, and it would take you back to the homepage un-logged in. Had to disable the WA to log into my board. I imagine it was a quick fix to disable all of the issues until they can eliminate the problem entirely.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

The WA will be huge bandwidth pig to sites if it hits every link on the page even if you do not go there. Precaching may appear fast locally but will be a burden on the servers if the servers are not cached also, but a huge increase in hit rates for sites that may be hosted on servers that have hit-rate limits imposed.

It seems to be a huge security issue IMO most of all.

I will not use it...

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

cyberCrank wrote: The WA will be huge bandwidth pig to sites if it hits every link on the page even if you do not go there. Precaching may appear fast locally but will be a burden on the servers if the servers are not cached also, but a huge increase in hit rates for sites that may be hosted on servers that have hit-rate limits imposed.

It seems to be a huge security issue IMO most of all.

I will not use it...
It doesn't precache every link on the page. In my experience it just chooses one link to precache every time you load the page.