Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Sovereign

Re: Olympus

Post by Sovereign »

DanoruX wrote: After Duke Forever.
According to PC Gamer, Duke Forever does exist and will be released....but I hope Olympus comes out soon! I'm not buying another vB liscence, nor am I about to MOD the phpBB in Nuke (too lazy). *drools over fully functional Olympus-class board in Nuke*
EDIT: Cool! I get to start page four!
Salute!!

Admiral Sovereign

Nix

Post by Nix »

Sorry guys, I have inside information. It will only run on Glaze3D HW so we have to wait for BitBoys...

Raq

Post by Raq »

I don't wanna fast beta - I want have high quality protuct :wink:...
But I very want update about Olympus. Update like this :roll:...
Club & Dance -- Disco & House -- Techno / Trance
Bored today llllllllllllllllllll - 50%

Galga

Post by Galga »

yeah.. i'd like to have at least monthly uptades & something more comprehensible for people like me. something low low, like "this is what we've completed" & "this is what we need to complete" with percentages or something like that on completion..

i wont change to another board.
but i'm waiting since 2003, i think after 2 years of waiting anyone would need to know at least what is ready & what has yet to be done & how much has to be done of each thing that's still not complete.

i've seen all the graphics that've been impemented to make it much easier to follow the development. But to peole like me (who don't understand very much about php engineering & so on) they're really not of much help..

as i said something like "we've done this" "this has to be done" & percentages of completion with a post every month would be enough satisfying even without saying what you've to implement in each sector. just to know how long we will still have to wait.. just to have an idea.. it's been 2 years..

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Whatever people say, the communication between the devs and the users has got much better recently - I'm currently just thankful for that 8)

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Galga wrote: yeah.. i'd like to have at least monthly uptades & something more comprehensible for people like me... etc.
I'd be okay with receiving brief quarterly updates, or perhaps hear something every 6 months - no more often than that. At any rate, I think we may see some significant progress to be made by mid-to-late summer. And hopefully we'll see something usable released by late fall of this year.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

rivaldo wrote: And hopefully we'll see something usable released by late fall of this year.
This is pure speculation ;). Nobody can guess this, the Devs stated in the past, phpbb3 beta was to be released by fall of 2004. And here you are making the same estimate a year later? :!:

I could even go as far as saying although the devs have a rough date for the expected release, even they do not have forsight into their personal lives and whether it will further affect the release of phpbb3.

Back on topic, IMNSHO it would be a good idea for a small progress report of whats completed and what needs more work (just as you've been doing in the past) every month or 6 weeks. It helps reignite any lost souls who have given up on traveling to Olympus and climbing that big mountain.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Well all I know is anyone who wants to know whats goin on then just check the CVS Stats tool. If you can't understand it, they are working, and if they aren't then it's probably because real life has got in the way again. There isn't anythign that can be chagned by making regular updates!

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

stubbers wrote: Well all I know is anyone who wants to know whats goin on then just check the CVS Stats tool. If you can't understand it, they are working, and if they aren't then it's probably because real life has got in the way again. There isn't anythign that can be chagned by making regular updates!
Bingo. That's why updates at a quarterly or semi-annual basis is alright with me. They should code as much as they can, and document and announce whenever it is convenient, or if there is something substantial to report.

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

One thing that would be nice is if the team got an additional member dedicated to making update scripts between significant cvs versions. That would allow for the immediate deployment of phpbb3, and less asking about where it's going.