Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SHS`

Re: Olympus

Post by SHS` »

DanoruX wrote: One thing that would be nice is if the team got an additional member dedicated to making update scripts between significant cvs versions. That would allow for the immediate deployment of phpbb3, and less asking about where it's going.
"Yaay, lets waste even more time doing things which we've said (CVS) is completely and utterly unsupported!"

Betas and Relase Candidated will come in time when they are ready. There's actually nothing stopping anyone deploying phpBB3 now, indeed the second largest phpBB forum is phpBB3, if you had the knowledge required as explained to dabble with CVS, you may do so now.

Using CVS is like racing a Formula 1 car, it requires you in knowing how to drive a car... in otherwords, go and play with CVS, but you need to learn how to walk before trying to run.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Just to reiterate what SHS` just said. We will not be writing scripts to ensure compatibility between CVS releases ... they are for development purposes only (as clearly stated). Occassionaly you'll find a small script in CVS for updating certain bits and bobs. They are created for our use, as is common for developmental code.

Equally, please, stop pressing the teams for information. This is not a commercial project and we do not subscribe or attempt to emulate such practices. As and when deemed appropriate information is made available, none of you can deny that. Unlike certain other "open source" software we make available developmental snapshots, heck the entire CVS tree, 24/7 ... there is no better way to track development.

alexro

Post by alexro »

LOL :mrgreen:
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

note that I said it would be nice. I know CVS is unsupported :D

Thanks for the explanation anyways ^^

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

psoTFX wrote: Just to reiterate what SHS` just said. We will not be writing scripts to ensure compatibility between CVS releases ... they are for development purposes only (as clearly stated). Occassionaly you'll find a small script in CVS for updating certain bits and bobs. They are created for our use, as is common for developmental code.

Equally, please, stop pressing the teams for information. This is not a commercial project and we do not subscribe or attempt to emulate such practices. As and when deemed appropriate information is made available, none of you can deny that. Unlike certain other "open source" software we make available developmental snapshots, heck the entire CVS tree, 24/7 ... there is no better way to track development.
No matter how many times I try to explain it, you always top em! LOL :mrgreen:

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

dragonflyy wrote: PHPBB 3 is never late, nor is it early. It arrives
precisely
when it means to.
you tried to quote lord of the rings LOL
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

HDR

Post by HDR »

DanoruX wrote: I still say it'll come after Duke Forever.
whats that? sounds like a game or tv show...

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

It is a game. Google is still friendly

Many people contend it will never be released.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Galga

Post by Galga »

psoTFX wrote: stop pressing the teams for information. This is not a commercial project and we do not subscribe or attempt to emulate such practices. As and when deemed appropriate information is made available, none of you can deny that. Unlike certain other "open source" software we make available developmental snapshots, heck the entire CVS tree, 24/7 ... there is no better way to track development.
pso i didn't mean to ask for daily information and i think no one here does. so pressing you was not my intent and i'm sorry if you feel that way.
what i wanted to ask were just 2 things:

1° The possibility staff would give info with a certain constancy (it can be the first day of each month, or just once ence 3 months or even one every 5 - 6 or how much suits your needs). Something to be sure of, so that i (and anyone like me i think) would not have to come here once or 2 times each week (for different months i came here each day and i think more other people here did) without any info. i know that's not your problem but for me it's a little bit depressing, it's already 3 years and i'm a little bit confused on your progress since milestones were abandoned..

2° having info in a clearer way,for anyone like me who doesn't understand very much that script you implemented.. something like "that's what's complete" "that's what's near completition" & "that's what has still to be worked out".

I think something like that would help anyone like me to feel again as phpbb3 was ready to arrive and keep using it. I don't think posting a little summary of what's done and what has to be done would stop or slow the work on phpbb3 so much so why don't do anything like this? It should also prevent people for coming here and do any time the same questions..

hope i didn't bother you too much & sorry for my bad english, i'm a little bit tired right now and i didn't have time to correct my speech ^^"

alexro

Post by alexro »

You don't want that everybody to find out that this project is almoust dead and that it will take 4 or 5 years for Olympus to be released (if it's gonna be ever released), do you?
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.