Usability and code

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ryan*

Usability and code

Post by Ryan* »

I'd like to point some issues of phpBB3 usability as well as I'd like to ask some questions about code. :) I know it's still in development, but it's better to point some things now then get them omited in stable release. ;) Here goes.

Admin Index - Inactive Users
This list has no paging. Rendering this page can take a lot of time if there are hundreds of inactive users. I believe this is about to change, cause there is still a lot of HTML in PHP code (tables and such).

ACP login
Reauthentication for ACP access is a great idea but there is no need in showing 'You have successfully authenticated and will now be redirected to the Administration Control Panel' message - it's obvoius that redirection to ACP is equal to successful auth. Showing warning when user/passwd does not match is obviously needed. :)

ACP Manage Extension Groups
I believe that already assigned extensions should by listed with small font in list of ext. groups for clarity.

User Administration
Find a member opens new window - cool. By it is possible to click username in list below search form and get to user info panel as well as to the board index. Going back is impossible using mouse only (without gestures) - there is no browser menu nor 'back' button of any kind.

Memberlist - Viewprofile
'Add friend' and 'add foe' visible for "me" (john123 can mark john123 a friend and so on).

And here goes two small questions. Do you guys accept any portions of code (conforming to the phpBB3 specs)? If yes - are there any limitations for SQL constructs apart from what's in Coding Guidelines?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Re: Usability and code

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

The ACP login message can be changed quite easily. If you go to the Languages section of the ACP, you'll find that you can edit all of the messages phpBB displays.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Some things are done because they need to be done for functionality or compatibility reasons ... trust us, we've been there, done that :) No, typically code is not integrated from anyone outside the phpBB teams.

Ryan*

Post by Ryan* »

Cap'n Refsmmat: I know what and how can be changed. ;) I've written dozens of lines of code to tailor phpBB2 to my needs as well as I've translated some phpBB stuff (other apps as well). It wasn't about the message content but it's existence. But thanks. :)

psoTFX: I don't get it - why does GUI need compatibility with previous releases (in fact functional 'bugs' I've pointed have nothing to do with phpBB2, to name ACP login as one of them). Thank you for clarification of code contribution. I'll wait with fixes till final release. ;)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I said nothing about "previous releases", I said "compatibility and functionality".

There are "issues" shall we say with how some servers (or versions of server) handle redirects. In 2.0.x we had a hell of a time (at times and in certain places) with browsers requiring refreshes, double login attempts, all kinds of things ... because they didn't like us doing "too many things" (e.g. new/updated cookie + redirect) at the same time. Hence the (re-)introduction of "Thank you ..." style intermediate notices.

In 2.0.x it was "kludged in" and in 3.0.x we can (again) do it with a little more style. And even where it isn't "strictly" necessary it introduces consistency. So, as I said, trust us, we've been there done, brought all the t-shirts and even tried to licence the film rights ;)

Ryan*

Post by Ryan* »

*big grin*

I see the point now - I've misinterpreted 'compatibility' word. Still - you can redirect immediatly with page instead of displaying info message (this isn't very elegant to post and then redirect immediately to go somewhere, but it's still better than watching something obvious for 3-5s - IMO of course).

[OT] I'd love to have "Cannot add header information - headers already sent" T-Shirt anyway. ;)

theamazingTWOeyedman

Post by theamazingTWOeyedman »

Well in the end most people just click the link anyway so it doesnt matter. 'sides they're going for style :mrgreen: you can always mod yours later
Hosting? - mlhosting.net

RagnaKaos

Post by RagnaKaos »

I have a question for the re-authentication... Why do you have to enter your username? It's displayed in the upper-left corner anyway. The password should be sufficient, unless there's something I'm missing here.

- RK

Sidha

Post by Sidha »

in case you're browsing the forum as somebody else??
but then you prob wouldn't see the admin link

nothing shows up cuz it isn't coded in there, and why even bother? My FF fills it in automaticely.. username & password.. don't see the point of writing all kinds of codes if the browser does it for you
-- this space for rent --

RagnaKaos

Post by RagnaKaos »

No, I don't think that's it, because if you're not an admin, you wouldn't be asked to re-authenticate, would you? And removing the username field would force the user to retype the password every time, which is, as you say, not the case where both username and password fields are in the same form.

- RK