Beta to RC Upgrade Path

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Acyd Burn

Re: Beta to RC Upgrade Path

Post by Acyd Burn »

My statement just meant that it is unlikely that an update script from beta to rc will be made, depending on the database changes.

BETA releases will be supported in a way of providing installation help, a basic support level etc.

The beta is for ironing out the most obvious bugs and to gain some more feedback and real-testing on seperate sections. We most likely still will not recommend replacing a live forum with a beta installation, testing the beta would mean installing it in a seperate place for testing. :) It also means we will open the bug tracker for reporting bugs.

At the moment i do not know if we provide an upgrade path from beta to rc (from rc to final there will be an update path). :)

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

I think Acyd has made it clear now!

If you take a closer look in the CVS there are two files in the CVS/install/ directory for update/upgrade purposes but they are not stable yet since it is CVS ;)
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

shushu

Post by shushu »

Thanks for Your answers /both/ :)
Keep doing this great work!

We can see how hard it is with these checkins ;)

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

BioALIEN wrote: If you take a closer look in the CVS there are two files in the CVS/install/ directory for update/upgrade purposes but they are not stable yet since it is CVS ;)
If one takes a really close look, one sees that they are about 2 years old also ;)

Code: Select all

$version = '2.1.1 [20030221]';
** "not stable" is an understatement, if not them being totally irrelevant ATPIT ... But the install.php works nicely again for yesterday's and today's new commits and related CVS downloads... **

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

I can't understand the problem... I'm quite sure that the major changes in the beta won't affect the database. The php-files simply have to be replaced (except if you plan to install serveral mods in the beta), and to add some fields or tables in the db you don't need to be a professional hacker... If you think it´s to hard... just wait for the final...

regards, Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

Yes for someone who understands how php works that will be easy enough. But someone who relies entirely on the install or upgrade script may find it a bit more difficult.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

If i remember what i have been taught about testing stratergies then a Beta release is a generally stable version, that is almost ready for release but just needs a few final bugs removed. Surely you should not be making major changes after a Beta release? if it requires that much of a major change it is not a beta its more of an alpha, most bugs should have allready been removed before going to a Beta.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

A release candidate (RC) is stable and has only a few minor bugs which still have to be fixed. A BETA version is a testing version and therefore BETA versions are not for use in a live environment anyway.

naderman

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

q3utom wrote: Yes for someone who understands how php works that will be easy enough. But someone who relies entirely on the install or upgrade script may find it a bit more difficult.
For someone who doesn't understand "how php works", I wouldn't recommend installing a Beta-Version... Either you are are a person, being familar with php(BB) and programming then install the beta and upgrate it to a RC... if not, just let it be to install beta versions... ;-). Imo public betas aren't as a matter of course - rather they are (normaly) made for more experienced- and not for end-users... not only for the sake of security.

Gruß, Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

APTX

Post by APTX »

q3utom wrote: Yes for someone who understands how php works that will be easy enough. But someone who relies entirely on the install or upgrade script may find it a bit more difficult.
Relying on things that may not even be written (upgrade script) is a little odd if you ask me.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!