Beta to RC Upgrade Path

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
shuyki

Beta to RC Upgrade Path

Post by shuyki »

I'm a little confused on this issue; will there be an upgrade path from (a clean install of) phpBB3 beta to rc1?

If this is classed as a support question then I apologise, its more of a technical curiousity :)

Acyd Burn

Re: Beta to RC Upgrade Path

Post by Acyd Burn »

Most certainly not.

shuyki

Post by shuyki »

Ah ok, thanks acyd

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

I was wondering about that too. If you get the CVS now... can you upgrade to the final version?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

DanoruX wrote: I was wondering about that too. If you get the CVS now... can you upgrade to the final version?
If you are good enough with MySQL then it's possible. Don't expect any help in doing it though.

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I don't think there will be supported way of upgrading the CVS to the final.

The only way I could think of would be, doing all the mysql and php changes manually.
May /dev/null be with you!

shushu

Post by shushu »

I am very confused with the post that Acyd Burn made here.
As far as I know there was such a question many times here in this forum.

There won't be an upgrade script from the CVS to Beta or RC. That's normal. That's expected. That was said before. "Don't expext an upgrade script from CVS to Beta"

And that's OK.

But!
Acyd Burn is saying here that there will not be an upgrade script from Beta to RC 8O
My English is not so good, but I think I am right about his words.
There were other topics where some of the team members were saying that there WILL BE an upgrade script from Beta to RC. I think Graham said that also in a topic here...

So if there will not be such a script, what will be this Beta for?
Just a normal CVS called Beta?
It was said here:
"Beta will be supported"...
What will be the support, who will use this beta, when after a couple of weeks/months there will be RC1, RC2... And noone will be able to upgrade from the Beta. Except the real professionals in coding and SQL managing..
:|

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

shushu wrote: I am very confused with the post that Acyd Burn made here.
As far as I know there was such a question many times here in this forum.

There won't be an upgrade script from the CVS to Beta or RC. That's normal. That's expected. That was said before. "Don't expext an upgrade script from CVS to Beta"

And that's OK.

But!
Acyd Burn is saying here that there will not be an upgrade script from Beta to RC 8O
My English is not so good, but I think I am right about his words.
There were other topics where some of the team members were saying that there WILL BE an upgrade script from Beta to RC. I think Graham said that also in a topic here...

So if there will not be such a script, what will be this Beta for?
Just a normal CVS called Beta?
It was said here:
"Beta will be supported"...
What will be the support, who will use this beta, when after a couple of weeks/months there will be RC1, RC2... And noone will be able to upgrade from the Beta. Exept the real professionals in coding and SQL managing..
:|
Presumably some of the changes that may occour will not allow an update script to be written esily.
It has already been stated that you will not be able to upgrade a phpBB2 board to phpBB3 before the RC stages.

Dan

shushu

Post by shushu »

But the question is not about upgrading from phpBB 2.0.x
The question is about upgrade script from phpBB 3.0 Olympus Beta to phpBB 3.0 Olympus RC.

And I am sure it was said:

There will be such a script. Users will be able to upgrade from Beta to RC to Final.
It was said here in these forums.

And if there will be NOT such a script... What the word "Beta" means? Just a more stable CVS. Why we are waiting for it? When we can not use it on a real site?
We can see it, test it on our PCs... And?
How can I install it when I will not be able to upgrade it to RC/Final after it?
:roll:

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

Obi_Wan wrote: I don't think there will be supported way of upgrading the CVS to the final.

The only way I could think of would be, doing all the mysql and php changes manually.
How is this board upgraded? (assuming they do)

As for the mysql, isn't that just adding/changing fields/tables?