Will phpBB be...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
[MB]nite2kx

Will phpBB be...

Post by [MB]nite2kx »

..free after 3.0 is released?

Invision PB said their board would be free, but now they charge. Will phpBB go this way or remain a free product?

the_dan

Re: Will phpBB be...

Post by the_dan »

It will be.
Even if it isn't, then the phpBB3 code as it is would be open source, so people could take that (legally), modify it (or not), and give it away for free entirely legally.

Dan

olger901

Post by olger901 »

phpBB 3.0.0 will be free as mentioned before in some thread.
-

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

phpBB will never be a paid service, because of it's open source liscence. That means that should they decide to start charging, anyone can continue releasing it for free from the current code. On top of that, since phpBB would have to stay liscenced as open source, people could as well buy a version of phpBB and re-release it for free as well. I think the only way phpBB could go fully paid is if they started a completely new board, coded completely from scratch and seperate from the current line, and then released under a non open-source liscence.

yazerty

Post by yazerty »

I hope phpbb will be free for ever, for happiness of all his users all over the web.
However if it becomes a paying system, a new board will appear to replace it. (but I don't think it will)
But psoFX seems to say that he will never get out of his mind that phpbb will be free for ever.
So... :)

excuse me for my english... :|

GrindBastard

Post by GrindBastard »

There is still no direct connection between "free of charge software" and "free software". The first one has to do with the price of software, the second one with the philosophy behind the software and the permissions granted to its users.

-> http://www.fsf.org/" target="_blank

As phpBB has been released under the GPL so far, any volunteer could pick up the code published under the GPL so far and use it for a new board project, just in case phpBB should ever become payware - which is, however, nothing anyone of us hopes for I guess.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

It would be rather dumb to charge for it, because everyone would have CVS copies of it anyways. They could fix the bugs in the CVS themselves (or a seperate distribution that is fixed could be made) and poof, nobody pays for it.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Many misconceptions again :(

Let me start by saying this ... phpBB will never become "commercial", i.e. having paying customers while James (theFinn) and myself remain in control of this project. And recent changes in group structure were, in part, done to ensure this remains the case. There are only two people in phpBB with the authority to alter the licence, alter the basic direction of the project or the source, etc. ... that's James and myself.

With that said ... there are misconceptions about the GPL in this topic I think (stated or not). The copyright holder has the right to change the licence whenever they wish. Of course whatever has been released under the GPL to that point could be forked. However, anything post-licence-change, even "new" sections of source to existing GPL'd code could not be taken ... copyright ultimately supercedes the licence (obviously).

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

psoTFX I've PMd you a few months ago about this exact question. Thanks for taking the time to answer it here after so long :)
Last edited by BioALIEN on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Dranor

Post by Dranor »

With GPL there's a model of business where they don't charge for the product itself but you pay for additional services like installing it, maintenance, integration with third party applications (usually propietary) and still the product is free of charge.. you can do it on your own btw, but sometimes there's no time or knowledge for that

PS: Sorry for my bad english