phpBB Dev Profile

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
BioALIEN

phpBB Dev Profile

Post by BioALIEN »

Theres been too much tension here lately. A barrage of hate & anger towards phpBB and to the devs regarding slow progress or release date or security etc...

Well, its time to get the fun back into this place. Cant we all wait happily while the devs do their work?

Instead of flaming hate and fighting everywhere, just let it all out (in very nice words) and tell us what you think of the board and the devs but dont ruin it. Give your psychological profile of the devs and the product. :arrow:

I go first!

phpBB - a great piece of software. I love it, respect it, appreciate it and in my opinion a successful target in which to follow a good well run/maintained project. I now use this as the basis for all my work both in terms of structure and in terms of following the same coding standards etc.

psoTFX - A real movie character - nobody knows whether they love him or hate him? I for one didnt know having run in to him and finding it an unplesant experience. He's got all traits from the stubborn, never willing admin to the bad man you see in movies with good lines. But you cant doubt his talent and contribution to this project. He single handedly coded two-thirds of what you see before you. Just appreciate his patience of having to put up with all kinds of people trying to get at him and his phpBB baby. One thing is for sure, its great to see him back to his old self posting everywhere and answering us all. A great man indeed, here is arguably the best line I have seen from him which highly expresses his character and personality :mrgreen:
psoTFX wrote: And guess what, here comes the locky locky.
Acyd Burn - Not as tough as psoTFX, more laid back and im not sure if its only me, but he's very friendly (dont be scared of his name :twisted:). Had the pleasure of getting some response from him - precise and to the point. Unlike psoTFX, Acyd likes to be behind the scenes where he enjoys peace and quiet? Having read his blog I first felt bad reading his views on how phpBB fits into his busy working life. But he enjoys coding and I hope we all make him proud and keep making phpBB fun for him.

BartVB - Havent come accross him on the board much. Bart, come on make yourself known, stop hiding 8)

Moderators - They're doing a great job. Having had a few topics locked I hope they dont decide to lock this one too. One thing is for sure, they wield big sticks and wip everyone into shape. If I had any power i'd like to delete every post they make :twisted: Graham and SamG you guys are great - keep doing what you do best.

There are a whole lot of others that need psychological profiling :) Please lets keep this fun, use it to take out your stress and anger but dont ruin in. Let us all laugh and wait quietly with a smile on out face. :D

Note: these views are expressed opinions of individuals and should not be taken at face value or as a representation of the phpBB Group.
Last edited by BioALIEN on Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Magnotta

Re: phpBB Dev Profile

Post by Magnotta »

interesting topic, but nice to see one that's a bit more lighthearted and with good intentions. Only thing is that eventually someone will come across and post something unnecesarily harsh and rude, but for the time being:

phpBB: well, I can't really say anything bad about phpBB itself, as how could I? I use it for my website, and it's the whole point I'm registered to this forum. If I came here and didn't like phpBB, well, I'd have to say that wold be a complete waste of my time, and I should seriously look at what the hell I'm doing(yet strangely enough there ARE people who actually join the phpBB boards just to bash it :? )

psoTFX: Haven't talked to him(I like to make it a point to no become known to people in high power, as 9/10 times if your known to them, it's in a negative way), but think he's doing a great job. You can critisize him all you want for whatever reason, but in the end he's the reason you have this software now(of course thefinn is the very original reason), and as for his rudeness, I'd say he's doing an exceptional job considering what he has to deal with. As I said in another thread, if I had to put up with even half the stuff he does, I wouldn't be even half as nice as he still is/tries to be.

Acyd Burn: seems more low key as far as the developes go(by low key I don't mean coding wise, I mean with how public he is), but seems to be doing a great job. Looking at the attach mod and what he's done so far on Olympus, the guy seems like a great coder.

BartVB: I havn't seen any of his work really so I can't judge. Same with as a person, haven't really seen any posts by him, so I guess no comment

Moderators: doing a good job. There are some where I don't exctly like them and don't agree with them, and others in the group that I think do a great job and are a really good example of how a moderator should act, so it's pretty diverse.

Fabien

Post by Fabien »

Hi,
BioALIEN wrote: Theres been too much tension here lately. A barrage of hate & anger towards phpBB and to the devs regarding slow progress or release date or security etc...
No, let us say, one more time, the problem is not with slow progress, or even an exceeded release date. The problem was with a lack of information, that was perceived by the users of phpBB as a lack of respect, as a haughty attitude.

A lot of people, me included, don't ask anything else: tell us regularly at what stage the development is. The developers have their problems; it's of course ok; but we also have our own problems and a good information let us take serenely our decisions. We can undestand life problems, delays, technical issues; we can understand anything, except silence.

The "Update on Olympus" (March 19) is a very good step in the right direction to correct the situation. Thanks to the development team.

Cheers, Fabien

BioALIEN

Re:

Post by BioALIEN »

Fabien wrote: Hi,
BioALIEN wrote: Theres been too much tension here lately. A barrage of hate & anger towards phpBB and to the devs regarding
slow progress or release date or security etc

No, let us say, one more time, the problem is not with slow progress, or even an exceeded release date. The problem was with a lack of information, that was perceived by the users of phpBB as a lack of respect, as a haughty attitude.
I wasnt being specific on these two issues only. I was refering to the general atmosphere around here. This topic has a different purpose. Please stop this now, I can see where you're dragging this! Stay on topic or dont post! :|
You can direct that post here:
viewtopic.php?t=19280" target="_blank
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Fabien

Post by Fabien »

Take a deep breath! I am not dragging this topic anywhere. Have you really read me? I was saying that the devs have taken a good action to make the atmosphere better. So keep cool. Anger without object is not good for the atmosphere, and not good for your health.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Fabien wrote: Take a deep breath! I am not dragging this topic anywhere. Have you really read me? I was saying that the devs have taken a good action to make the atmosphere better. So keep cool.
It was a little off the topic and you didn't follow suit.

Me next me next....

phpBB
- Brilliant, a sheer work of art, when I'm really bored sometimes i try and interpret the code (just started learning php). It's brilliant, and the fact that it's all built in peoples spare time, and free

psoTFX - Having not met the man myself, can't really say. What i've seen on the forum, can be kind, but fair when he needs to be. Brilliant, just look at his number of posts compared to anyone elses, heck, as he said himself, he had the idea of this dev board (Area 51).

Acyd Burn - I also have read his blog, he sounds like a great guy, and i agree with what you said BioALIEN

BartVB - I agree, where is this guy 8) . Maybe he's pretending to be one of us, a normal user. 'One of us'... (Don't worry we don't bite, hard)

Moderators
- Doing a great job, we all make mistakes and they are pretty lenient (BTW, I can see that point of veiw now SamG, piracy should never be encouraged). Big stick weilders, hehehe :mrgreen:

BioALIEN - Sounds like a great guy, as do alot of the regular posters here at the community

Try not to ruin the fun... Next persons turn...

--- Edit ---
Hehehe, just read a comment on the CVS
Acyd Burn wrote: first try to break things...
:mrgreen: - Legend
Acyd Burn wrote: and my second attempt
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Hehehe, there were a few more than 2

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Frankly ... I'm perceiving some posts in this topic as a "somewhat" veiled attack against me covered by a smattering of "praise" ;) Shall I tell you something? Those who know me, show me a little respect, etc. ... will find a nice person ... ask Meik and most of the team.

However, the moment you *beep* me off ... which can be done in any number of ways, from being pushy, rude, arrogant, thoughtless, condescending, whatever ... you'd be advised to shut up and step back a while. I'm a fair person but I won't suffer fools gladly and I won't allow any phpBB project to be "damaged" by some over-eager know it all who's read a few posts here or @ the main board and thus presumes to know everything about this softwares history, etc. Equally I will not tolerate big heads who run a small community coming here or to the main board and informing us how we should run our communities ... if people perceive that as stuborness, so be it, it's actually called experience and it's been gained in the "real world" as well as here over many years.

As for Meik, you'd be advised to tread carefully with him just as you would me ;) He too won't suffer fools gladly. And unlike me, as BioAlien does correctly note you won't typically find him actively responding to you guys (something which given the frankly strange requirement of some to have constant feedback being provided may cause problems in future). Right now he's still in his "honeymoon period" ... much as I was for the first two or three years. At some point however he's likely to become just as jadded and "easily irritated" by some subjects/people as I am ... at the moment you'll likely be saying "hi" to the next lead developer :D

It's about time people here realised that we are not "indebted" to the userbase, we don't owe then anything per se ... we do this because (gawd knows why given some recent posts) we enjoy it, that's it, no more no less. If we were all to shut up shop tomorrow we'd be perfectly entitled to. To those of you who actually work for a living let's use an analogy you'll be familiar with, income. In terms of average pay for what I've contributed over the past few years I'd be looking @ something in the order of £35-45K a year for four to five years. In other words I alone have probably contributed something in the order of £200K worth of my time. The teams as a whole? Multiply that figure by at least twenty ... so in total team members involved with phpBB have probably donated in the order of £4M+ worth of time. Not bad heh?

Keep that in mind the next time a post full of complaints or whining or moaning pops into your heads.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

phpBB - Brilliant, excellent program. Worth millions in development costs.

psoTFX - Haven't met him. How can I presume to say that I know someone or be in the position to judge someone by his message board posts?

Acyd Burn - Haven't met him. How can I presume to say that I know someone or be in the position to judge someone by his message board posts?

BartVB - Haven't met him. How can I presume to say that I know someone or be in the position to judge someone by his message board posts?

Moderators - Haven't met any of them. How can I presume to say that I know some people or be in the position to judge them by their message board posts?

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

I don't know the devs or moderators on any personal level. They develop and moderate pretty much the way I would expect in an open source community. They don't know me either so I don't take anything they say or do personally.
I can't delete my signature.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

phpBB : love it. no more words needed

psoTFX - a good developper, respect is what he deserves

Acyd Burn - from the attachment mod i saw, and the work he does here, also a good coder, also respect

Graham - a moderator who knows the rules, and no matter how much times theyre broken, he keeps at it, with good results.

Nutzy99 - a nice person, knows how to code and is good at it, and with support he totally knows whats the problem, also from his posts, if you treat Nutzy99 with respect, he will treat you good in return

Darkmonkey - a good coder, i have seen the dev of RPG+ and it worked out good. respect

Riker - he's a nice person, also respect

overall i have respect for the whole phpBB team, i think the work they are doing is great, and sometimes hard, but they all keep to it. personally i hope phpBB will be around for a lot of years

as for the DEV team, they also have a life other then phpBB, before anyone starts critisising about their lack of time being put into reacting to posts or development, think about the fact they have a life to

phpBB rocks!

P.S. if it comes out bad, or if the phpBB team feels attacked in any way, my apologies, english isnt my native language so things might come out other then they are meant