Need help.. Whats this site?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
=mcgowan=

Need help.. Whats this site?

Post by =mcgowan= »

Hey,

I need some answers...

I know these are phpBB forums, but what is it. Like CVS or CMS. I dont know what they are and some people keep mentioning them. I really like this style of the board, where it is more flattented out.

But if Someone can please help me ASAP that would be great.
=cipher=

//Need a MOD installed? Need phpBB Installed? Need phpBB tweaks or any other changes? Contact me via PM. //
stubbers

Re: Need help.. Whats this site?

Post by stubbers »

Hey, this is the uncompleted V3.0 of phpBB. The site is for monitoring it's development, downloading the CVS (concurrent version storage) which allows you to donwload unstable versions of 3.0 to see how it's going!
=mcgowan=

Post by =mcgowan= »

hey,

so this is the developed ... well partilly developed phpBB 3 Olympus?
=cipher=

//Need a MOD installed? Need phpBB Installed? Need phpBB tweaks or any other changes? Contact me via PM. //
stu15

Post by stu15 »

=mcgowan= wrote: hey,

so this is the developed ... well partilly developed phpBB 3 Olympus?
yep
stu15> Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk || Volvo Ocean Race Talk - Talk All about the Volvo Ocean Race || America's Cup Forum
SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

CVS means.... well now, that's a damn good question. :lol: What does it mean?

Chorionic villus sampling. 8O (That was a dictionary.com definition).
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"
blobber

Post by blobber »

=mcgowan= wrote: Hey,

I need some answers...

I know these are phpBB forums, but what is it. Like CVS or CMS. I dont know what they are and some people keep mentioning them.
CVS = Concurrent Versioning System

CMS = Content Management System
kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

Adding a hair more detail:
CVS = Concurrent Versioning System
This allows multiple people to develop a single product concurrently. I don't know the exact details of sourceforge (where phpBB is held, I've never personally used it) but typically the system tracks changes to code and integrates them into the new version rather than a full replacement. In a more traditional (read: outdated) environment, if Programmer A replaced lines 5, 6 and 7 of the file index.htm at the same time as Programmer B was working on lines 15, 16 and 17, the person who clicked "save" last would be the one who's files were used - in this case A's work on the file would be lost since B's file didn't have his changes in it (they both started with the same original). With a typical CVS, the edits themselves are tracked, so when A edits his lines, the system ONLY rewrites 5, 6 and 7 - when B clicks save only lines 15-17 are changed which allows BOTH sets of lines to be altered rather than just the last person to save.
Another typical feature is "rollback" - you can pull up the code from a previous version if you need to (or, like me you did something stupid and need to go back and undo it from four versions ago) and work from there.
CMS = Content Management System
All this really means (in this context) is how exactly your web stuff is stored and distributed to the end user. Changes to the CMS in this version include the ability to include files in posts and add hyperlinks to sites as a forum object rather than having to maintain a portal or separate links page. OFTEN both of those features were modded into phpBBs in the past (for example, the one at my firm links to our company database software, there's a link at the top where the login/logout buttons are), now they're directly supported as part of the CMS.
Other examples of CMS (*NOT* included in phpBB, just other real world applications) are media streaming systems, database frontends, and portal solutions.
In the past phpBB (if unmodded) hasn't really been a very good CMS - it's a web forum solution and that was mostly its only strong capability. Olympus has the ability for some more extensive CMS, although it lacks the features of more robust portal/content solutions (which seems to be by intent - phpBB is a forum solution with some CMS support, not a CMS with some forum stuff)

Hope that helps a bit.

SFG