question to the team- about ads

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DragonlordP

question to the team- about ads

Post by DragonlordP »

Really, why don't you put ads at phpbb.com? This place has great traffic and I'm sure none of us would mind if we saw one or two banners in order for you guys to make some money for your work. I'd like to hear the reasons if you'd like to answer...
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more
the_dan

Re: question to the team- about ads

Post by the_dan »

DragonlordP wrote: Really, why don't you put ads at phpbb.com? This place has great traffic and I'm sure none of us would mind if we saw one or two banners in order for you guys to make some money for your work. I'd like to hear the reasons if you'd like to answer...
There are ads there ;)
DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

You mean the "helpful resources"? I don't know if those text ads pay so well compared to a banner... anyway maybe i'm wrong
you live it or lie it

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

DragonlordP wrote: You mean the "helpful resources"? I don't know if those text ads pay so well compared to a banner... anyway maybe i'm wrong
Those, and the google adsense ads at the bottom of nearly every forum page.

Dan
w3neo

Post by w3neo »

DragonlordP wrote: You mean the "helpful resources"? I don't know if those text ads pay so well compared to a banner... anyway maybe i'm wrong
They only pay if you click on them. Not too bad either if you consider even a 1% rate for a site the size of phpBB.com but the reality is more like one click in 1,000 views which means they are probably lucky if the ad pays for the bandwidth.

w3
DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

yep, that's my point, i also use google adsense and it pays our small server expenses but we also remind our users all the time to click on the ads...i don't think many phpbb visitors care for the ads that much-even if they do, a banner would be far more profitable.
you live it or lie it

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

telling users to click on your adds goes against Google's TOS, and if they should find out they will most likely end up removing your account.
DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

i meant we remind them that they can check the ads at the bottom of each page and, if they find something interesting, it's good for both of them and the site to click on the ad. or sth :P
anyway, any devs wanna answer me on topic?
you live it or lie it

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Not really ... :) The ads are as they are. We're not trying to make a "profit" or anything, just covering expenses.
Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

psoTFX wrote: Not really ... The ads are as they are. We're not trying to make a "profit" or anything, just covering expenses.
Would making a profit without the users having to pay for it be bad? :P
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."