Thanks for Beta Info Update!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Virtuality

Re: Thanks for Beta Info Update!

Post by Virtuality »

Hrm, reading this makes me think the final release won't be out till late fall-early winter, maybe even later. But I don't mind for a second. :D All I mind about, is having Olympus eventually, not as soon as possible. Well, okay, soon as possible would be good, but I am not getting impatient. :P The main interest for me is Olympus, some day.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."
Alagba

Post by Alagba »

Interesting beta info update. Does anyone know where psoTFX fits in all this?
luvish

Post by luvish »

Thanks for beta info update !!

Although i have read the info, I do not still get where we are at now. How do you guys estimate the Beta release date? is it this month, or next month?

And one more thing to ask, according to the info, there wil not be db data converting tools in Beta version so that we have to wait RC release to have fully working Olympus based website unless I am confident with MySQL things.
Am I right?

thanks in advance
Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

They aren't giving any more estimates. So it could be a month, and it could be many months. Heck, if enough stuff happens in their outside of phpBB lives it could end up next year.

As for upgrading, I think that if you try and upgrade before they release any upgrade tools it will be just like using the CVS: no support whatsoever.
olger901

Post by olger901 »

Well I hope there will be an easy and advanced mode for setting permissions, just like phpBB2 had, you use simple mode by default, and then have a small button below it for advanced mode, as I prefer to use advanced mode for setting permissions. :)
-
blobber

Post by blobber »

olger901 wrote: Well I hope there will be an easy and advanced mode for setting permissions, just like phpBB2 had, you use simple mode by default, and then have a small button below it for advanced mode, as I prefer to use advanced mode for setting permissions. :)
I can second that, I guess it really depends on the level of customization that you need to be able to apply.
So, I know many people who don't require such a high level of permission-setting and who would even find it cumbersome to really find their way through all these settings, however I know also a couple of people who would love to see an even more finely grained control over certain features on an per user/per membergroup or sub-forum basis.

For example, many settings in the ACP are still globally set for the whole forum even though some admins would prefer to be able to customize these settings specific to certain users or groups - which would then allow admin/moderator groups to have custom settings applied instead of the global ones that were created for all normal users, so that for instance it would be possible to specify that admins and moderators should be able to keep more PMs in their folders than normal users, as well as setting different limits for various other features, e.g. allowing only members of certain groups to use attachments etc.

A potential approach to this dilemma of having users with different requirements, might be to keep both paths open, I mean it would probably be sufficient to introduce some sort of "permission templates" that those admins could use who don't require such a high level of control, so the complexities of the permissions system could be hidden behind another layer, while those admins who really prefer having more freedom, could simply use the permission system with its full complexity.
BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

I second that notion. Would be great to set attachment/pm quote permissions to individual users/groups - just like how you can limit certain individual users from not able to use pm/attachment it should ideally be applied to groups.

Maybe the devs will add a PM quota per group cos thats vital. Of course this is only my not so humble opinion ;)

As to the specualtions on the dev ranks well, its not rocket science you just have to piece up the puzzle. psoTFX already dropped a few lines saying he's willing/looking to find someone who can fill in his space (in the not so distant future) and looking at the CVS the stats data may not be as accurate as you may think. This CVS stats could date back as far as phpbb2.x development line before Acyd Burn was part of the team. If this is the case, and the stats were to be considered for only phpbb3 then it would paint a completly different picture on who's the likely candidate to lead the phpBB Group to the future.

Of course again, this is only my not so humble opinion :mrgreen:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN
Nullius

Post by Nullius »

I'm kinda disappointed with this announcement.
As everyone was expecting a release in march, it now looks they have a lot of work yet to do.
You should get a fairly obvious estimate by reading the above list for yourself.
Looking at the work that has to be done, I'm estimating it will take till next year before we'll see the first beta release ... looking at the current speed of development.
If the devs knew they still has so much work to do ... they simply shouldn't have said 'late february / early march'.

I know they are just volunteers and I and many others appreciate their work, but if they knew there was still a lot to do, they should have said 'the beta won't be released before the end of this year'.

That's just my opinion ;)
Greetzzz,
Nullius
Paddy

Post by Paddy »

I agree with Nullius.
I find it strange that there was this estimate of late February/early March when there is still a lot of work to be done.
Unless of course they decided to do some extra things which were not planned at first.
The way things look now, I would say the first beta is still at least several months away. That is, if things continue the way they are now. If they are able to speed the development up then it might be sooner, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

Nullius, I don't think the devs would have given that data if they didn't think they could make it. Some things came up that made them loose months of work (bugs in 2.0, hacked website, last but not least their private lives).

My opinion on the date: psoTFX said three months ago, that 3.0 might be in beta right now. So three months of development time was a realistic estimate. Assuming that they did not add any new features to their list since then, the maximum time it could take from now on (if everything works out right) should be three months. ;)