Software patents

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Pit

Re: Software patents

Post by Pit »

the_dan wrote:
Magnotta wrote: and if it isn't and he actually does kill/eat the bunny, then the next course of his action should be to make sure I do not get any info on where I can find him.
I hope you eat no meat whatsoever, and most certainly don't use products (and at all, drugs included) that are tested on animals.
You don't have to avoid stepping on ants to object to actions that you believe to be cruel manipulations :)
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Pit wrote:
the_dan wrote:
Magnotta wrote: and if it isn't and he actually does kill/eat the bunny, then the next course of his action should be to make sure I do not get any info on where I can find him.
I hope you eat no meat whatsoever, and most certainly don't use products (and at all, drugs included) that are tested on animals.
You don't have to avoid stepping on ants to object to actions that you believe to be cruel manipulations :)
The bunny is going to be killed humely by a butcher, not mercilessly tortured. What is being done is no crueler (and is in fact probably more humane) than what goes on in an abbotoir on a daily basis.
What about all those cute fuffy lambs, one of which is sitting in my oven at the moment, but nobody seems to give the tinyinsy sqit about? :P

(As it happens, I only eat meat with moral unease, but so long as it tastes good, I'm going to continue :P)

Dan
BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

We're talking about patents and (my fault) somehow we're talking about cruilty to animals?

Alright lets connect the two so this post seems somehow on topic :|

Imagine if they patented eating chicken? Or even certain recepies and the way its prepared or something! 8O
OMG I think I'll have to start murdering some people around here to get the patent laws changed :twisted:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN
Golyc

Post by Golyc »

The bad things (that i can see) is that in the actual form of software patents you can patentiate (how can i write this ?) a idea not the implementation of this idea...

Easily speaking i can patentiate the idea of making a Buletin Board, not how i implement this buletin board (the code itself).......

Please ignore my speach errors, i not a native english speaker.

Please correct me if i was wrong ... i nedd to study this subject more carefully.
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Patent, not panentiate. Patent is both a noun (object) and a verb (action).
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.
BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Yes thats correct to a certain degree. Generally, you patent the idea not the implimentation but on certain cases (depends on what is being patented) if its the concept that drives the idea then its the concept that is patented.

Take Dyson for example: Hoover patented vaccum cleaners. Dyson make their own vaccum cleaner and patented the cyclone sucking system. The result? Dyson sues Hoover and wins the case.

This is a very very touchy subject. Mixed with many laws from many countries. USA on one hand, EU on the other and ASIA and more all operate their own set of rules. I've had a meeting with two law professors to discuss an issue that was on my mind regarding a potential liability for a law suit. And after 2 hours of headache and discussion, I walked away thinking.. I didnt really learn anything new to how to solve my problem.

Simply put, although there are many laws - they only work case by case on an individual basis. If bulletin boards are patented, and me and you both walked away and create our own individual bulletin board system and down the line we get called by the lawyers, dont be surprised if one of us walks out without damages while the other is .. how shall we put it.. alienated? :twisted:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN
SamG

Post by SamG »

It really isn't the idea of patenting the concept of a bulletin board that's at stake. It's more likely that a patent would be claimed to cover some underlying technology that bulletin board software uses.

Just to illustrate the point, have a read of the W3C's obtained analysis of concerns over possible patent infringement by P3P. These are the kinds of issues at the heart of European concerns over software patents, if I'm not mistaken.

Remember that the concerns aren't just backward-looking, but forward-looking as well. In other words, maybe the phpBB of today would not infringe on software patents, but the phpBB of tomorrow may have to contend with that problem if software patents hold wide sway. With the possibility of growth of software patents comes the increased chance of infringement, since prior art will be a reduced factor over time.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
Golyc

Post by Golyc »

"The only similarity between the '325 patent and P3P is that both involve transfer of data structures from a server to a client and both relate broadly to controlling communications."

Look at an exemple of stupdy a stupidy patent... All web softwares used today involve transfer from server to clients..

I can´t see any prior art on this part of the patent

PS: i refring to the link givem to us by SamG http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P-analysis/" target="_blank
http://www.w3.org/1999/10/patent-5862325.pdf" target="_blank is the patent wich give problems to wc3

Ps2: The lawyers decided that it wasn´t a problem for P3P implementantion... Yet at least the part that i quoted this IS an stupdy patent ....
Pit

Post by Pit »

the_dan wrote:
Pit wrote:You don't have to avoid stepping on ants to object to actions that you believe to be cruel manipulations :)
The bunny is going to be killed humely by a butcher, not mercilessly tortured. What is being done is no crueler (and is in fact probably more humane) than what goes on in an abbotoir on a daily basis.
I was not aware that abattoirs were in the habit of ransoming the lives of the animals killed there.
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Pit wrote:
the_dan wrote:
Pit wrote: You don't have to avoid stepping on ants to object to actions that you believe to be cruel manipulations :)
I was not aware that abattoirs were in the habit of ransoming the lives of the animals killed there.
No, but I don't see why it is any different in this guy killing the bunny at a butcher, or an abbotoir.
The people who are defending the bunnys life so vehemently would be better protesting at an abotoir, where hundereds of animals are killed a day. In fact, the $20,000 that has been donated would likely feed an entire family in an impovrished famine stricken 3'rd world country for life. I'm not suggesting that what the guy is doing is *right*, but more that people would be much better directing their anger and money at better targets.

Wow, I just realised that I am only every so slightly:

In fact, I've forgotten what the point was :?

Dan