Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SolarFX

Re: Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Post by SolarFX »

... If someone makes a portal for phpBB, they're going to follow the same path. What would be the logic in having a phpBB portal that didn't upgrade with phpBB and use a vBulletin template?

If you follow any of those in the link you posted, it's exactly what you're looking for. ;) Even the phpBB dev team could not produce a portal that would satisfy everyone. A BB, sure, put portals have different needs for different people.

My suggestion to you; take up PHP and code yourself your dream portal instead of looking for other people to re-do a job specific for your site. ;) It's what I did.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

phpbb Fetch All should be included in that portal list...it's in the mod database. It even comes with a premade portal page.
I can't delete my signature.

Elarion

Post by Elarion »

Jotne wrote:
Dunvallo wrote: Well, you yourself posted a link to the available portals for phpBB. Why should the devs use their time (which could be put to better use making new features for phpBB or optimizing code) to produce something that already exists and works? As far as I know several of these portal mods are quite good and useable for a broad range of situations. I guess some will also be taken over to Olympus, so there also won't be a lack of available portals... ;)
If the portal came from the same source (phpbb), i do not need to think of the problem when upgrading the phpbb due to mods etc. They both follows the same upgrade path, same style etc etc.
phpBB plus 2 is updated as phpBB is, so thats not really an excuse is it? The only possible problem you'll experience with something like a portal for phpBB is getting any template other than subSilver to work with them. Although it doesn't take much work, if you're not comfortable with making changes to .tpl files you're going to have a hard time.

Vire

Post by Vire »

I all o' this stuff you're talking about is true, then please let me JUMP FOR JOY.
First of all, I can't WAIT for Olympus, and if later on they're gonna work on an OFFICIAL phpBB portal...? It won't take away any of Olympus' features as a forum, I hope... Ahem, anyway, thanks for the news, and boy am I glad that I'm subscribed to the Mailing List!!!

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

I don't think the devs said anything about developing an official PhpBB portal. As far as I know, they're gonna develop Olympus, perhaps make a security review of the code at some point, finish it and then get back to have a closer look at 2.0.X.
But there was some half-official portal project that was halted until 3.0 was out...

SamG

Post by SamG »

Originally the portal project was not an official phpBB project. However,
area51.phpbb.com wrote: Welcome to area51, home to development of phpBB Group products including phpBB and phpBB Portal.
So I guess we need to wait and see what happens ... :)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

Hm, strange... I guess you're referring to the text on http://area51.phpbb.com/" target="_blank . But as I looked at it a minute ago, the last part of your quote was missing. Or did you quote from somewhere else?
Anyway, even if it's being developed, nothing will happen before Olympus final is out, so there will be plenty of time to contemplate about this later on. :D

SamG

Post by SamG »

No, they changed the text!

/me goes to find a place to hide ... :oops:
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

mastermike707

Post by mastermike707 »

If the portal project is not resumed after a couple month after the realease of Olympus, then I will start my own.

blobber

Post by blobber »

personally, I don't see the point in bloating a forum software with such features ... I mean after all you really need to use the right tools for the right purpose ...

Anybody who tries to make phpBB become the universal solution to any webapp-problem should think about what he's doing ...