Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Jotne

Post by Jotne »

I would like a portal in Orion.
This would help using only one template for both the phbb and portal.

Example on portal solution:
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=280" target="_blank
Don't feed the Troll
Jotne=Troll (Norse mythology)

David Robinson

Re: Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Post by David Robinson »

Because phpBB is a forum, not a portal.
Mmm... Forbidden Donut....

Jotne

Post by Jotne »

Agree

But the portal uses most of the phpbb system (sql and php) to present new messages, important news etc. and i make it more as a complete package.
Don't feed the Troll

-jm-

Post by -jm- »

AFAIK there was an official portal project @ phpbb.com .
It aborted before I registered over there (july2004), but the dedicated forum (locked) was deleted only in January2005.

Maybe there will be another phpbb portal project for Olympus (after olympus release).

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

That's right. The devs put the portal project on hold until after 3.0 is completed. Once 3.0 is finished, they might restart the portal project, then again they might not. We'll have to wait and see. ;)

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Site - Blog

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

I wouldn't hold your breath for the phpBB portal anytime soon(if it should ever happen). I can't speak for the dev's since I don't know their plans, but I know that if I was one of them, once Olympus is released I'd be taking a decently long break.

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Why does it matter if phpBB isn't endorsing a portal? Find one that you like yourself and use it! If you're waiting to use a portal because you want it to be officially sponsored by phpBB, that's going to be a long time from now.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

Well, you yourself posted a link to the available portals for phpBB. Why should the devs use their time (which could be put to better use making new features for phpBB or optimizing code) to produce something that already exists and works? As far as I know several of these portal mods are quite good and useable for a broad range of situations. I guess some will also be taken over to Olympus, so there also won't be a lack of available portals... ;)

r_conan

Post by r_conan »

I should think portal development will begin as soon as there is a good BETA release.
Obviously only unofficially.

Jotne

Post by Jotne »

Dunvallo wrote: Well, you yourself posted a link to the available portals for phpBB. Why should the devs use their time (which could be put to better use making new features for phpBB or optimizing code) to produce something that already exists and works? As far as I know several of these portal mods are quite good and useable for a broad range of situations. I guess some will also be taken over to Olympus, so there also won't be a lack of available portals... ;)
If the portal came from the same source (phpbb), i do not need to think of the problem when upgrading the phpbb due to mods etc. They both follows the same upgrade path, same style etc etc.
Don't feed the Troll