A question for you members!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TheNationstop

A question for you members!

Post by TheNationstop »

Hi, Y'all.

Just a question for you all,

Are you going to upgrade straight away when the beta hits the download section? I mean, to use it for your forums, sites etc.. ;)

Or will you make a phpBB Olympus installation just to check it out and test out the features, and wait for a fairly stable release to be released and use that.

Just wondering,
TnT

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Uchiha Nick

Re: A question for you members!

Post by Uchiha Nick »

i wanted to upgrade right away when the BETA is here, however experience has learned me that it isnt smart to do. ( MOD ) so i will wait until the stable release is here ( just dont want to lose it all again )

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

When the BETA comes, I will take a copy of my current board database and files, and do a test-upgrade, and see how it works and so. I won't go live with it until at least RC1 though.

But as soon as the BETA hits the streets, I will begin the translation of it to Swedish, and we'll make sure to have the Swedish version avaible on day 1 of the final release.
And I will also begin the work on my new website, based around 3.0.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

TheNationstop

Post by TheNationstop »

Hi,

I intend to base my whole site around phpBB Olympus. As I have done with phpBB 2.0.11.

I will most likely start a fresh as most of my current site is in development. I have learnt so much about phpBB 2.0.11, I only hope Olympus isn't a different kettle of fish.

TnT

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Same than virtuality, I will make a test-conversion on a copy of one of my boards...
on my local computer.

I'm actually already working on design (with the current cvs). Will adapt when beta is out, if needed.

Then if everything goes well, I will start a fresh install on my site, and simply adapt the existing tables to the new ones. (anyway, not a lot to convert there)

The worse will be if I help my friend Stigma again, who has a board with 70000+ posts and 200+ members and heavily modded.

I suggest anyway to ANYONE to simply backup the whole 2.0.11 files + the database tables. If anything goes wrong, you can always revert then.

Cheers
Patricia
---------
BrumalSolstice.com

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

I'm actually already working on design (with the current cvs). Will adapt when beta is out, if needed.
But you are aware that the layout for phpBB3 will change completley? It will ship with a fully new style.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

TheNationstop

Post by TheNationstop »

Hi,

I love this style, it is very simple and I was going to keep it when I installed Olympus.

:(
TnT

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Virtuality wrote:
But you are aware that the layout for phpBB3 will change completley? It will ship with a fully new style.
Yes, I'm aware of that... I'm just kind of "training" at the moment, and actually I do not work on template .html files, but mostly on css and imagesets,
Thanks anyway :)
Patricia
---------
BrumalSolstice.com

foreverfan

Post by foreverfan »

well i like the layout
wonder what happens to installed mods when you upgrade

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

They disappear forever...well, more or less. The convertor isn't public yet, so we can't be 100% sure. However, their functionality will disappear at a minimum
A_Jelly_Doughnut