phpbb 2.2 exactly like IPB?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SolarFX

Re: phpbb 2.2 exactly like IPB?

Post by SolarFX »

Is the new style going to be a new layout or just new colors, etc.??
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

SolarFX wrote: Is the new style going to be a new layout or just new colors, etc.??
I think it's safe to say that it's going to be a new layout. New colors wouldn't be much to shake a stick at.

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

From all the hype, probably a completely new layout/design/etc, not having any relation to any previous designs. It will also probably take better advantage of the new phpBB styling system.

night.exe

Post by night.exe »

Heh, they'll probably remake the "make your style" engine completely! (I would/should)
I'm pro-PHP!

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

If it is a new layout, I hope it looks good. It should be cool.
night.exe wrote: Heh, they'll probably remake the "make your style" engine completely! (I would/should)
Umm... why?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

APTX

Post by APTX »

Remake what?
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

php4ever

Post by php4ever »

I'd like to see the new look. Any previews yet.
Jared

SamG

Post by SamG »

No previews of the new style are (or will be) available. It won't be unveiled until v3 release.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Mini

Post by Mini »

I was a IPB admin for a loooooong time.
phpBB 3 looks NOTHING like IPB 1.3 or 2.0
Well maybe here and there like seperating anouncements and stickies and normal posts. The UCP is completely different.
The ACP is a little more complex in 3.0 but its still nothing like IPB.

Lastly, IPB does not suck.
Its just to complex for you. You get used to it.

Merri

Post by Merri »

There were some comparison to Linux and Windows. I'd say 2.0.x is like Linux is at the moment or what it was just a year or so back, compared to Windows. And I can even give some backup for that: it is much harder to install new programs to Linux than it is to Windows. Too often you get guided to use the console... this far I've only used console to mount my NTFS partitions. It wasn't that long ago it was impossible to set display adapter to use more than 60 Hz without editing a text file. I compare all this to the way mods need to be installed manually. There really is no modding support in 2.0.x, it all must be done the hard way. EasyMOD saves a lot of pain for all of us, but I think it is just a "other way around" solution (and it doesn't support uninstall at the moment). To Windows it has always been rather easy to install new programs and also to remove them. This makes it easily extendable and customizable.

I have both installed on my machine and I do use Windows a lot more. Linux still lacks a lot of things which I like in Windows. And the mod I am making is actually going to be more like Windows as I'm making it easy to expand :) I can't know what 3.0.0 will be like in practise, but I sure hope it is more like Windows as I see it in this post I wrote.

Nevertheless 2.0.x is a great piece of forum software. I hope 3.0.0 will be better. And after taking a look at IPB, it seems a bit messy to me. I don't know how customizable it is, but I think I'd like it less than 2.0.x

(if there is something I don't like at the moment in here, it is that ugly font color selector I now see the first time)