Will ACP be in templates?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Graham

Re: Will ACP be in templates?

Post by Graham »

It's not going to be templatable for the reasons Paul explained

a) Very few people bothered to template it any further than changing the colours (which will still be possible to do)
b) It was the cause of quite a few problems when templates were missing options in that people couldn't configure their boards correctly, see text etc. We on the styles team tried to minimise this in styles on phpBB.com but it was still a problem.

As Paul says, it won't be a major loss given that most of the changes people want will still be possible to do by editing a couple of files.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

Well, the future will tell if that approach is good enough.... ;)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The past has shown it is.
markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

Sorry, I disagree. What are the benefits of using templates? Do you mean you just support templates to allow usage of different styles/themes? ...or you still would use templates because it separates the presentation layer from the rest of the engines, etc.?

...just wanted to point you "could" be wrong here. Experience on this decission will tell the truth. ;)
DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

markus_petrux wrote: Sorry, I disagree. What are the benefits of using templates? Do you mean you just support templates to allow usage of different styles/themes? ...or you still would use templates because it separates the presentation layer from the rest of the engines, etc.?

...just wanted to point you "could" be wrong here. Experience on this decission will tell the truth. ;)
Experience already exists, and has for the past 3 years. It has shown that styling the ACP causes more problems than it solves, and it went unutilized the great majority of the time. I don't understand how there's any debate there. Either way, the decision has been made :)
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

markus_petrux wrote: ...just wanted to point you "could" be wrong here. Experience on this decission will tell the truth. ;)
sigh, listen ... the ACP is something completely different from the rest of the board. Just as normalisation of the DB is the "correct" thing to do but doesn't actually "work out" when it comes to implementation ... so "seperation of style from code" is the "right thing to do" but in practice it doesn't always work out.

Now, you don't have my experience of these things ... you may believe I'm wrong, good for you. My experience suggests I'm not. That's it, this is the situation, it isn't changing for 3.0 (and I suspect 3.x).
Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

I think he's believing you will remove the styles system completley. :P
It's just for the Adminpanel... not for the rest of the board.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

my own opinion there...

if you are good enough to change the admin style by yourself in the code, you do not need a system for it.

for the others (simple admins with not that much of code experience), it IS better to keep it as is, for the reason stated by psoTFX who is the "phpBB Development Team Leader" and knows better than us all about it.
Patricia
---------
BrumalSolstice.com
Alagba

Post by Alagba »

Echoing Patricia's point here - if anyone isn't happy with the way things are, and they know better than the devs, well nothing stops them - the 'complainers', that is - from 'improving' on the code and using it :-) The beauty of Open source is, they don't even have to share it with the rest of us :-)
Simon_Hodgkiss

Post by Simon_Hodgkiss »

It doesn't really matter if you cant change the ACP template as long as it works, who cares !