Acyd's Antics, an inconsistency in the code

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dmaj007

Acyd's Antics, an inconsistency in the code

Post by dmaj007 »

The code is REALLY shaping up, rock solid compression, true integration of attachemnts and my personal favorite, a really sweet template engine. However, I am just curious of one of Acyd's common, frequent entries. His changing of count to sizeof, benchmark shows that they are identical in every way ( sizeof is an alias of count ) but why change it? From my own experiences, one should stick to one style... Just curious of why such a thing happened.

BTW, I have mixed feelings about the mysqli job, most people do not have mysqli but do run mysql 4.1, you stubbed them down to mysql 3 because they will not be able to use the new extension (its not exactly a walk in the park to get myqli to run on php 4...)

DeadEye686

Re: Acyd's Antics, an inconsistency in the code

Post by DeadEye686 »

dmaj007 wrote: The code is REALLY shaping up, rock solid compression, true integration of attachemnts and my personal favorite, a really sweet template engine. However, I am just curious of one of Acyd's common, frequent entries. His changing of count to sizeof, benchmark shows that they are identical in every way ( sizeof is an alias of count ) but why change it? From my own experiences, one should stick to one style... Just curious of why such a thing happened.

BTW, I have mixed feelings about the mysqli job, most people do not have mysqli but do run mysql 4.1, you stubbed them down to mysql 3 because they will not be able to use the new extension (its not exactly a walk in the park to get myqli to run on php 4...)
I was under the impression that mysqli was required to use 4.1 - is that not the case?

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Nope that is not the case, incase you use the old-passwords option like I currently do, however as soon as phpBB 3.0.0 gets released im planning on migrating to PHP5 anyway with MySQLi.
-

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

That is all nice and well but mysqli is not enabled by default, most people do not get access to their php.ini files.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dmaj007 wrote: The code is REALLY shaping up, rock solid compression, true integration of attachemnts and my personal favorite, a really sweet template engine. However, I am just curious of one of Acyd's common, frequent entries. His changing of count to sizeof, benchmark shows that they are identical in every way ( sizeof is an alias of count ) but why change it? From my own experiences, one should stick to one style... Just curious of why such a thing happened.

People do not have to use mysql 3 just because mysql4.1 is not yet properly supported ... People can still use mysql 4.0.x. ;)

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

Pardon but there are no 'people', 99% of the time, a USER will be installing this on a hosted solution. Will the host say "Well, since you can't reap the benefits of such and such a function, I will upgrade the DB, which has other customer's data creating downtime and a chance of failure." In reality, your host will not upgrade your server just because you ask for it. the mysql 3 and 4 DBs were very similar.. The install should change mysql 3 to mysql 3/4 and mysql 4 to mysqli

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

The mysql.php layer is able to handle mysql 3, mysql 4.0.x and mysql 4.1.x. It just does not make use of 4.1.x features which is the only bugger here. The mysql4.php file is using the mysqli functions. Now, i admit the naming convention here is not very clear and we might change this to clearly reflect the underlying functionality.
His changing of count to sizeof, benchmark shows that they are identical in every way ( sizeof is an alias of count ) but why change it?
I think this falls under "personal preference"? ;)

dagta

Post by dagta »

dmaj007 wrote: In reality, your host will not upgrade your server just because you ask for it.
It's rare but some hosts will. Mine does.

grön

Post by grön »

dmaj007 wrote: Pardon but there are no 'people', 99% of the time, a USER will be installing this on a hosted solution. Will the host say "Well, since you can't reap the benefits of such and such a function, I will upgrade the DB, which has other customer's data creating downtime and a chance of failure." In reality, your host will not upgrade your server just because you ask for it. the mysql 3 and 4 DBs were very similar.. The install should change mysql 3 to mysql 3/4 and mysql 4 to mysqli
Then change host if they dont help you out
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

Why? Because they won't be able to use mysqli? A user would not go thru the trouble of finding another host, switch DBs, reroute DNS. I say this because phpBB is intended to be a forum solution, it is not a complete website. Regardless, the mysql4 and mysql3 drivers were IDENTICAL before he brought mysqli into the mix. I am just saying that to remove confusion of a user, they should rename mysql 3 to mysql 3/4 and mysql 4 to mysqli in the install.