Modded phpBB Olympus Upgrade?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
thedrumchannell

Modded phpBB Olympus Upgrade?

Post by thedrumchannell »

I currently have phpBB 2.011 - How will upgrading be handled if I have tons of mods installed on my forum? Will the converter handle this or will I install a fresh copy of Olympus. Also is the converter does handle the upgrade with the mods will the mods still be funtional?
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
Prophecy Talk - World News & Bible Prophecy Information
TheFella

Re: Modded phpBB Olympus Upgrade?

Post by TheFella »

There will be a upgrade script, but the mods will not be functional. Mods for 2.x will not be compatible with 3.x, I believe that's one of the reasons behind the change to 3.x, as it will save confusion (theoretically).

A lot of stuff that used to be done by mods, such as birthday, is done as part of 3.x.

You will lose your mods and styles until a mod maker makes them compatible with Olympus. (Or you do yourself :))
The Fella - I rock
The Fella Goes Arctic | LoonyAsylum
thedrumchannell

Post by thedrumchannell »

Thanks alot I am very glad to hear this because now it sounds relatively simple to upgrade. I was kinda worried that I would have to restart the board from scratch and a bunch of other junk. No worries now - Thanks! :mrgreen:
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
Prophecy Talk - World News & Bible Prophecy Information
Madcow

Post by Madcow »

Ya, that would be sick if I had to restart by board from scratch. I have a heavily modified forum, and v3 will be a nice breath of freash air, maybe I can install new themes without having to hack the templates to do it!!!
Nullius

Post by Nullius »

I think there will only be a coverter for the database.
That means your categories, forums, posts, users, ... will be saved, but your files will all be deleted and new ones will be provided :)

So I'd doubt it if there will be an upgrade-script for your phpbb-files.
Greetzzz,
Nullius
eyes sama

Post by eyes sama »

You can't possibly have an answer for that question. The upgrade script does not exist yet. They would not know if it could rewrite the backup if it has mods that change the database.
Nullius

Post by Nullius »

Nevertheless you should always keep a backup of both files and database when performing such upgrades ;)
Greetzzz,
Nullius
Graham

Post by Graham »

Let's try and put this in a way that people will understand.

The upgrade script should be able to cope with boards which have MODs which have added fields, tables etc to the database. MODs which alter the attributes or use of existing fields, may cause problems with the upgrade process.

The upgrade script will almost certainly support the Attachment MOD, and it is coded in such a way that MOD Authors should almost certainly be able to provide relatively simple changes to it to allow data from their MODs to be upgraded to the native feature where appropriate.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!