Just To Clarify About Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SpyIt

Re: Just To Clarify About Olympus

Post by SpyIt »

I like the name phpBB 3.. so much seems to have changed that it seems to warrant a new version name, as said already. Will it be "Powered by phpBB Olympus © 2002, 2005 phpBB Group"? Whoch also means that (now the version number has gone from the footer) people will easily be able to see which major release is in use, yet not exploit the use of the version number if you will.
SpyIt : THE Spy High Fan Site & Forums

TheFella

Post by TheFella »

I reckon whenever they patch and/or update it, they should continue to use the codename AND the linux numbering system :D

"Powered by phpBB O.2lympus"
The Fella - I rock
The Fella Goes Arctic | LoonyAsylum

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I dont like to upgrade immediately, because some of the mods aren't compatible with the newer versions. I suppose I will wait until there are some mods out for Olympus.

And is there any definate release date for Olympus? Because that would be nice to know ;)

soxie

Post by soxie »

no.
brian.
http://itsbrian.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

One word replies... :roll: :P well... anyways... one more thing: Last time I checked, the CVS Snapshots were of phpbb 2.2.x... have they changed the snapshots to Olympus? Because I just wanna test it out real quick... (I guess it would be faster to just download a snapshot and see, hmmm...)

well..
thanks
-Aldenhier

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Aldenhier wrote: Last time I checked, the CVS Snapshots were of phpbb 2.2.x... have they changed the snapshots to Olympus?
phpBB 2.2 == Olympus :D

The code is the same, just the codename and release version number has changed. :)

- Adam
A teacher is one who says, "Stand on my shoulders and reach higher."
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
phpBB Support: Search
My Blog: Technology Edition

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

Then what's all the talk about 3.0.0? Isn't Olympus = 3.0.0 not 2.2.x?

Graham

Post by Graham »

Olympus is the code name for what will be released as version 3.0.0 - and what was originally going to be released as 2.2.0. Read the announcement on the main site if you want to find out more on why we changed the version number
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Are more features than originally planned going to be in? Since the BETA is being delayed for a few months?

Will we have an option to use subSilver 2 when phpBB 3 gets released or we can only use the new theme? Because not everybody will like the new theme.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

trenzterra wrote: Are more features than originally planned going to be in? Since the BETA is being delayed for a few months?

Will we have an option to use subSilver 2 when phpBB 3 gets released or we can only use the new theme? Because not everybody will like the new theme.
a) How has the beta been delayed? There has never been a release date, and there is still no release date.

b) The party line (about using subSilver2) is "wait and see" - the developers are unsure at the moment.