Suggestion - Regarding the wait...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Amirsan

Suggestion - Regarding the wait...

Post by Amirsan »

This suggestion is not for rushing anyone, dissapointment or anything, its a suggestion that may infact end all of this...

What I propose is some sort of weekly newsletter, or developer diaries. Something that can keep those that are following in-tune with the development process, they will know what you are doing and why it takes soo long. They wont be anxious, and myself aswell.

Its like an updated features list of what you have finished, what youre working on, etc.

It can be a newsletter posted as a thread, or emailed to all the members to this forum.

Anyways, its an idea under construction. Take it or leave it. :)

Martin Blank

Re: Suggestion - Regarding the wait...

Post by Martin Blank »

It's already been suggested several times before, and it's always rejected with the same reasoning: it's better for the devs to spend time developing than to spend it writing up status reports.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

8O 'Tis unbeliaviable.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

SamG

Post by SamG »

Amirsan wrote: This suggestion is not for rushing anyone, dissapointment or anything, its a suggestion that may infact end all of this...
Given the absolutely unique circumstances that have delayed 2.2's release, I highly doubt that there is anything that anyone could have done to relieve anybody's disappointment. Between the forums here and at phpBB.com, there has been plently of information available to people to satisfy any realistic need to know.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Amirsan

Post by Amirsan »

if many people have suggested it then dont you think its a good idea? I dont see how much a one page news brief each week takes for a couple dev's to write... unbelievable...

Such a simple thing that can keep many busy, and can count as some nice hype for your software, cannot be done because of time? Oook...

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

if people want to know what's going on, they subscribe to the checkins list on sourceforge. other than that, there's nothing -to- know...the developers are very forthcoming about what they're doing, as well as why they aren't able to code for some reason or other. (ie. BartVB's unfortunate incident recently)
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Amirsan wrote: if many people have suggested it then dont you think its a good idea? I dont see how much a one page news brief each week takes for a couple dev's to write... unbelievable...
They're pressed for time anyway (the reason it's taken this long) due to salaried work and personal lives, and are often able to work on the code for only short periods of time. If they have only an hour a week to spare, it's better that they spend it on coding. And to short-circuit any 'helpful' responses from anyone, they've already stated that they're not going to add any new developers anytime soon.

Really, this whole thing has been done into the ground so many times it should be visible from orbit.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

delos

Post by delos »

is the date for first beta release (late january/early february) still valid?

Graham

Post by Graham »

It's as valid as ever - just note that it's a target, it is not guaranteed so do not start complaining if we miss it for whatever reason.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Wert

Post by Wert »

This suggestion was poor the first 50 times we heard it.

Do you really want the devs using the scant time they have preparing updates rather than actually working on getting the coding done? :roll:
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.