Upgrading Question: Using Category Hierarchy mod

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
eqbeastlord

Upgrading Question: Using Category Hierarchy mod

Post by eqbeastlord »

I'm in the process of setting up a new board, and it's going to have a ton of forums, so the Category Hierarchy mod is the way I'm going to go.

I'm just wondering if in the upgrade script for 2.2 , will it take all that data and work with it, or will I lose anything in categories?

Trying to decide if I should hold off on category hierarchy mod and just use a bunch of forum sections.

I did install a test board to see how it would function once 2.2 is complete, and it really looks awesome. I just don't want to be using ut on a live site quite yet.

So I guess my options are:

1. Use 2.0.11 out of the box, with a ton of forums on the index
2. Use 2.0.11 with Hierarchy Mod and hope there's a script to get it ready for 2.2
3. Something else I haven't thought of?

Any suggestions? And thanks in advance!

Virtuality

Re: Upgrading Question: Using Category Hierarchy mod

Post by Virtuality »

You should ask the author of the Category Hierarchy Mod about that. If he is going to provide a upgrade script from his mod into 2.2.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

eqbeastlord

Post by eqbeastlord »

Virtuality wrote: You should ask the author of the Category Hierarchy Mod about that. If he is going to provide a upgrade script from his mod into 2.2.
Ahhh.. I guess that makes sense :) Thanks for the info!

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I believe there will be an upgrade script ;)

RBH

Post by RBH »

Will the upgrade script effectively erase all mods that may have been installed in 2.0?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

RBH wrote: Will the upgrade script effectively erase all mods that may have been installed in 2.0?
More or less.
If the mods made changes to the db structure (not just added new fields, but removed, renamed, or changed the contents of existing ones) then it won't work (or at least not properly) however.

Dan

dhn

Post by dhn »

We are currently setting up the converter team. Once that is done, we'll contact MOD authors and ask them to contribute converters for their MODs. For some MODs (like the attachment one), we might do that by ourselves.

This is no promise that there will be a converter for each of the famous MODs, but we will do our best.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

That's more an upgrade script thang than part of the convertor teams remit. I have previously suggested the idea that we may include code provided by Mod authors to "upgrade" (or convert as they may say :)) data from their Mods to any "new" method we have included in 2.2.x. But no further discussion has occured on that at present.

-jm-

Post by -jm- »

I read on the main board that ptirhiik will provide an upgrade patch from CH 2.1.0 to phpbb2.2 .
I don't know if there will be a direct update patch from ch 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 to phpbb 2.2

encryption

Post by encryption »

<--SNIP-->

Seems Ptirhiik already answered this one

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/viewtop ... 214#103214" target="_blank

-e-