A bit disappointed

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
parker182

A bit disappointed

Post by parker182 »

I must say, to see this post: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=250057" target="_blank
Really disappointed me.

I was told way back that we would have some sort of release some time in 2004 for sure. Months passed, I stayed quiet. I would check every day, then every other day, then every week, and eventually, I only checked phpbb.com when I had time.
December came, still nothing. And now this?
What's gonna keep things from becoming delayed further in the future.

Now before you all flame me and say how this is free software, and if I don't like it that I can happily use another forum software, and even the fact that the developers have lives too and that they're busy. I know all that, so don't bother wasting a post explaining it.

If the developers are so busy with their lives, isn't it possible to recruit some talented coders to help out?

What exactly goes on from day to day behind the scenes. Give me a bit of insight.

EDIT: And please, no "It'll be here when it gets here" crap. Been there, done that.

Obi_Wan

Re: A bit disappointed

Post by Obi_Wan »

I really know what you mean. I've been a bit disappointed but ok I can wait a bit longer.

I code some PHP Software myself and I've got a fixed team. The reason why I don't get more talented coders to help me is, that I first want to know the people very well before I let them see my code. Maybe it is the same with the phpBB Team, I don't know.

But it is only a Month or a bit longer then phpBB 2.2 should be in beta and I think that isn't a very long time if you have waited for it a long time already ;).
May /dev/null be with you!

Sniper PT

Post by Sniper PT »

And don't forget.... this is 100% FREE... we must encorage the dev team!!!!

Keep going the good work!!!!

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I think the dev team is doing a great amount of work and I'm really thankfull that they are able to code such a good piece of boardsoftware. I had others like wbb or some CGI stuff but I didn't like that very much. But phpBB is just great.
May /dev/null be with you!

Sniper PT

Post by Sniper PT »

And also don't forget.... phpBB is a part of their personal life....

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

What's wrong with waiting only a month or a month and a half? Haven't you at least the courtesy to be patient now that they finally have a planned release for the beta?

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

What did you ever do for them? Did you donate some money or buy a T-shirt from the phpBB shop? Maybe then they could "recruit" some reliable coders. Have patience, it might even take longer then two months to finish. How can you be disappointed with a great and free product like this, :evil: you have absolutely nothing to complain about. :evil:

parker182

Post by parker182 »

I never said I'm not willing to wait another month. I'm not happy about it, I don't think anyone is (even the developers I'm sure). But by God, I'll wait another year if I have to.

Patience is not without limit. Having said that, I have been patient for many, many months.

I'm just frustrated is all.
spambot wrote:What did you ever do for them? Did you donate some money or buy a T-shirt from the phpBB shop? Maybe then they could "recruit" some reliable coders. Have patience, it might even take longer then two months to finish. How can you be disappointed with a great and free product like this, Evil or Very Mad you have absolutely nothing to complain about. Evil or Very Mad
To which I reply:
parker182 wrote: Now before you all flame me and say how this is free software, and if I don't like it that I can happily use another forum software, and even the fact that the developers have lives too and that they're busy. I know all that, so don't bother wasting a post explaining it.
Yes, this is a "great" and "free" product. I never doubted that for a second.
How can I be disappointed? Very easily
Absolutely nothing to complain about? Well I just complained, didn't I ;)

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Why don't you just keep this to yourself, I don't see the point of starting jet another topic complaining about it. I think you're discouraging the devs this way.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

parker182 wrote:I must say, to see this post: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=250057" target="_blank
Really disappointed me.

I was told way back that we would have some sort of release some time in 2004 for sure. Months passed, I stayed quiet. I would check every day, then every other day, then every week, and eventually, I only checked phpbb.com when I had time.
December came, still nothing. And now this?
What's gonna keep things from becoming delayed further in the future.

Now before you all flame me and say how this is free software, and if I don't like it that I can happily use another forum software, and even the fact that the developers have lives too and that they're busy. I know all that, so don't bother wasting a post explaining it.

If the developers are so busy with their lives, isn't it possible to recruit some talented coders to help out?

What exactly goes on from day to day behind the scenes. Give me a bit of insight.

EDIT: And please, no "It'll be here when it gets here" crap. Been there, done that.
if you dont like the way things are going, create your own forum software or something. because of people like you the dev team is rushing. and if it would have been done in this year with a lot of errors people like you would complain all over. be frikin glad they are putting time on this! they are doing it non-profit you know. they have a personal life as well.

who do you think you are to give the dev team orders? use the CVS or snapshots; they are good enough.

and for all other people on this board who are thinking about making a thread like this; plz think it over since it's useless, you will get the same answer over and over again