Suggestion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SolarFX

Re: Suggestion

Post by SolarFX »

Wert wrote:Or if you feel there must be a list, subscribe to cvs and post every little change up somewhere to keep people happy.
I'll do it. Hell, I got time to waste anyways, off of school for a while, spending most of my time here... doing nothing. Yeap... same 'ole crap, different day. So I'll make someone happy.... hmm... where to post it now....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Oh just shut up about all those "intelligent suggestions". What's more important? That we get 2.2 or that we can follow its process until completion?
I'd say, let the developers spend all their 2.2 reserved time on developing instead. Frankly, if keeping CVS is a hassle for them, then scrap that too. If logging on here and replying to stup.. posts is a hassle, then scrap that too.
Sure, it could be useful for you to read posts here, but don't bother replying. :P
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

Natan

Post by Natan »

Another reason you can't have a list is because of the 'surprise' feautres that the dev. team are supposedly working on. They wouldn't want to give anything away :)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Matt12345

Post by Matt12345 »

First, thanks Paul for the update. I realize that you all are busy, and just posting that has made by day. If you have to change that date, you have a life, we understand that. I think it is better that we know approx dates (date ranges, like we were just given), and if they are going to be way off, just a little post saying something like, something came up, we're pusing the date back a month, and everyone will understand. Personally, I'd much rather wait for product that careful consideration and time went into than a product rushed out to beta to satisfy the whims of the users. Great job devs and have a wonderful holiday season.

-Matt
P.S. I was just offering the list thing as an alternative to giving us a date. Seeing that we have an approx date range (subject to change, of course), I take back my suggestion.

RBH

Post by RBH »

psoTFX wrote:I can say there is a tentative schedule I'm going to try and impose to get the beta out by late January/early February.
First off, thank you and good work on what we can see of 2.2 on this board.

Second, I think that was all anyone wanted :) Not an exact date that we can all plan a party for, just a hint at a rough time period.

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

I forsee the "golden" phpBB 2.2.0 being released on April 1st. Everybody will think it's a joke and not download it.

:lol:

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

LOL.. that'd be funny - I NEVER download anything on the 1st, especially if it comes from the dev team at my firm...

SFG

nicopaul

Post by nicopaul »

Hello psoTFX,

Thank you very much for this information and for all of your hard work on phpBB2. You take all the time you need and have yourself a very merry Christmas and happy holidays! :D

Cheers,
pianistsk8er
nicopaul - known as "pianistsk8er" on the main site.

Visit my classical music website/forum.

ddhblt

Post by ddhblt »

I'd be in favor of one locked announcement topic that every one (who wants to be notified upon release) could subscribe to. I do not check here on a daily or even a weekly basis for a release announcement and would appreciate being notified when it's ready to go.

If there's any dev updates to be made they could be added, and everyone would get a topic notification. No questions, answers, pleading or wishful thinking, just an announcement.

Unless they are motivated by the constant guessing & asking.

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

That would still waste the Devs time. They don't need to do that, they should be getting on with their lives, then coding when they have time, not updating a rediculous topic for people who don't have patience.

Besides, what is the difference, there are the CVS checkins, that doesn't stop people from asking questions. An announcement wouldn't either.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"