2004: The year of 2.2?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
A MOD's Enemy

2004: The year of 2.2?

Post by A MOD's Enemy »

At the main phpbb.com website, psoTFX wrote:See you all in 2004 ... the year of 2.2.
Quoted from This Post

Again, happy birthday 2.2; it's been a long two years. However, as you can see, 2004 was going to be the year of 2.2, which got most people (including me) suspecting it would come out this year.

We've seen 2.2 materialize this year and get better and better, and, over the course of the year, the project roadmap was taken off Area51. But it has been off for about 4 months now, and I'm wondering, is 2.2 still in development? Will the year of 2.2 be moved to 2005? How soon until testing?
Techie-Micheal

Re: 2004: The year of 2.2?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard someone say (or ask) that phpBB wasn't being developed anymore ...

phpBB 2.2 is being developed.
The roadmap was removed for reasons that I do not know.
phpBB 2.2, as with any project done in spare time, is subject to something called life. Life has seen fit to throw the developers more than one curve ball ...
Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

• Half-Life 2 was supposed to be out over a year before it was released.
  • Nintendo hardly ever gets a product out when they say they will.
  • Windows 'Longhorn' was supposed to be released in 2005 and has been pushed back to 2007.
If the most awaited products on earth, with dedicated, paid staff can't get products out when they initially hope to, it's a little naive to expect an open-source product timeline to go unchanged.
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

A MOD's Enemy wrote:the project roadmap was taken off Area51. But it has been off for about 4 months now
Actually, it has only been missing 53 days, i.e., less than two months:

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/viewtop ... e&start=18" target="_blank

The developers, in the same topic, indicated a possibility that it "may" get updated, but schedule and time "may" not allow it at this time. At some point, it would be nice to at least see an updated near-complete features list, but we may be lucky to even get that. Some of this may pan out before beta or likely after the beta is released from all indications, but would be useful for a variety of reasons. There is always a balance of resources and time between coding and documentation and is always a choice and a trade off...

Nonetheless -- it is evident that much progress has been made and much excitement awaits the release of the beta and RC for phpBB 2.2
stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Let's have a swear jar, with one difference, every time someone asks (says) anything about the release date, they have to put some money into PHPBB. :)
Wert

Post by Wert »

A MOD's Enemy wrote:is 2.2 still in development? Will the year of 2.2 be moved to 2005? How soon until testing?
Rather than starting another useless thread to complain about release dates, I suggest you make good use of the search capabilities of these forums, download a snapshot, or take a look at cvs.

You'll find the answers you seek.

Even the most cursory glance around these forums would have told you that these sort of topics are as useless as they are unwanted.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.
olger901

Post by olger901 »

Patience is the key to everything.
-
Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

the DEVs never set a date, and when creating something you can't really make/give a deadline.

however, i always think : the longer it takes, the better it becomes
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

My Two Cents:
Good things come to those who wait
Anyone that complains must downgrade to phpBB 1.4.x and use it for ever! :P
Simulation Cricket Authority: http://www.simulationcricket.com
q3utom

Post by q3utom »

Uchiha Nick wrote: however, i always think : the longer it takes, the better it becomes
Yeah I would rather wait for a good polished product rather then something rushed and pants.