phpbb-checkins

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
JPortal

phpbb-checkins

Post by JPortal »

I've been using the patches at the following URL to keep my phpBB copy up-to-date: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2657" target="_blank

If you must know why I can't just do a CVS update, it's because I'm programming a portal around phpBB.

My question is this: are the patches there automatically generated whenever a developer does a CVS commit, or are those actually emails between developers?

the_dan

Re: phpbb-checkins

Post by the_dan »

The emails are auto generated whenever a checkin is made.
We havn't seen one for a while though, my guess is that the developers are working on one of the 'surprise' features they don't want seen or copied before they do it.

Dan

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

OK, good. Just making sure I'm not screwing myself over by editing files that can't be updated :P

So, is a checkin the same as a commit? How can I use this feature on my SF projects? :?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I just confused myself.
I believe a checkin is where you say to the CVS server that you are done editing the file, and a commit is when you send the edited file to the CVS to update it there. I think they also typically coincide.

I'm very probably wrong, however.

Dan

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

They occasionally coincide, but it's not uncommon for a file to be checked in and out numerous times before it's committed, depending on the project.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

Hmmm... how do you do a checkin then?

(I can't find it in my TortoiseCVS menu :P)

Graham

Post by Graham »

The messages on that list are generated automatically whenever files are committed to the repository.

(The term checkin isn't really relevant to a cvs system since it allows multiple people to work on a file at a time)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

JPortal wrote:How can I use this feature on my SF projects? :?

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

the_dan wrote:We havn't seen one for a while though, my guess is that the developers are working on one of the 'surprise' features they don't want seen or copied before they do it.
** noticed & thought of that too (as well as security issues on 2.0.* being disruptive and being worked), plus maybe cleansing and grinding for 2.2 beta; tis sort of like the calm before the storm of commits, so brace yourself :) **

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Jportal: If you haven't already, start by reading the SF.net documentaion on CVS.

Basically, get Tortoise and use it 8)
A_Jelly_Doughnut