multiple forums sharing database?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
furios

multiple forums sharing database?

Post by furios »

i am wondering if something simmilar to the Multiple forums sharing a user database MOD-ifications out of the Knowledge Base is supported within phpBB 2.1/2.2?
Drexion

Re: multiple forums sharing database?

Post by Drexion »

Of course it will be possible, while the concept of doing so will be the same, the instructions to do so will be slightly different.

Anything is possible really ;)
furios

Post by furios »

:) well i thought that it still will be possible to do the modifications... but my question was, if the capabillity is included 8)

it is actually pretty simple and i was wondering why this isn't the normal procedure, if you want completly seperated boards you could still use different databases :p

thanx anyway
furios
maxintosh

Post by maxintosh »

What I want is to be able to make multiple forums from one installation and being able to decide what they share.
alphadan

Post by alphadan »

Well I definitely agree with that - I run 5 forums on one database (Mazda3Forums.com) and it's hell on earth when we want to change something or install a new forum.

Surprisingly nobody really supports this - not even vB. Highly dissappointing.
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Use the subforum feature... you can customise each subforum by enforcing a different skin.
Rob
furios

Post by furios »

Roberdin wrote:Use the subforum feature... you can customise each subforum by enforcing a different skin.
that is no solution, sorry
if i have different forums, which do not have anything to do with eachother, then i can't combind them. especially if they run on different domains.

greetings
furios
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Then why should they share settings? They can share the same database, no problem, but they won't be connected...
Rob
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

My testing with phpBB 2.1.2 allows two host sites (two physical servers with Apache + PHP) to accesss the same database (on a third separate MySQL server). The first time it happened, I had accicentally placed a config.php onto one test site by mistake (from a backup of one of the other sites used for testing) and could see exactly the same database from both servers (posts, forums, admin settings, etc.). However, some major problems may show up with sessions and security, and one would have to think about this type situation and why this may be reasonably done (performance maybe, load-balancing, etc.), but one would need to sort out any security issues if one were to do this on purpose...
molotov

Post by molotov »

cyberCrank wrote:My testing with phpBB 2.1.2 allows two host sites (two physical servers with Apache + PHP) to accesss the same database (on a third separate MySQL server). The first time it happened, I had accicentally placed a config.php onto one test site by mistake (from a backup of one of the other sites used for testing) and could see exactly the same database from both servers (posts, forums, admin settings, etc.). However, some major problems may show up with sessions and security, and one would have to think about this type situation and why this may be reasonably done (performance maybe, load-balancing, etc.), but one would need to sort out any security issues if one were to do this on purpose...
Here they are just talking about wanting to share users, which is trickier because permissions also need to be shared, but forums are different.