not a support question.........

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
BMWGuy

not a support question.........

Post by BMWGuy »

Most of you guys know that I've been here long enough to know that I'm never to post any support questions. Hence, this question is in no way a support question.

In regards to the progress being made on the CVS:
A few weeks ago, I downloaded and uploaded a CVS version of 2.2. Obviesously, it was extremely "broken" and bug-filled, however, I was still able to access the bare-essential functions (ie., posting, admin's panel, etc.).

Today, I downloaded and uploaded the latest CVS, but this time, several of the basic functions do not seem to work................at all (primarily, it's just that I cannot access the admin's panell at all). It almost seems like this current CVS is less up to date than the one I download several weeks.

Is it just that I happened to get "bad" (i.e. a more broken, but typical for CVS) version of the CVS, and this is really not a major issue? :?
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

SamG

Re: not a support question.........

Post by SamG »

Remember that CVS is not a release tool, but a development tool. Downloading CVS code is downloading the stuff the developers are actually working on.

So, likely, they're in the process of making a change or are doing a test/experiment of some kind. In any case, not to worry. :D
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

That answered my question. Thanks. :)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

delos

Post by delos »

i had a similar problem some time ago. every few days i used to download the cvs, install it on my own server (in my pc) and try to use it for testing. but i could never get into the admin panel, the login box just came up again and again. ofcourse i thought it was just that the cvs is not supposed work. but when people started posting "cvs works especially good today" i was just puzzled.
i finally uploaded the same version i had installed in my pc to a professional hosting server. and it worked nicely. perhaps i just had done a lousy job setting up my server. or maybe the cvs doesnt work with some configurations.

delos

Post by delos »

very sorry about the double post.
after i pushed submit, i waited about 5 minutes and the page just didnt change. after that i tried resubmitting, the same thing. then i just gave up and now i cant change the posts anymore.
but it is interesting that my posts dont show up in the post count of this topic :P

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

BMWGuy wrote:Today, I downloaded and uploaded the latest CVS, but this time, several of the basic functions do not seem to work................at all (primarily, it's just that I cannot access the admin's panell at all). It almost seems like this current CVS is less up to date than the one I download several weeks.
As Sam says, and as it clearly intimates on the snapshots download page ... welcome to CVS ;) It does not exist as a public preview. It does not exist as a means for us to get feedback. It does not exist as a way for others to get "early access" to the finished product. It's where ongoing development work is stored, things may be very broken from time to time, that's just the way it is ... that's what CVS is all about.

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

thanks a ton everyone. My question has been answered. I appreciate it. :)