Why don't release this "fairly stable" phpBB 2.1?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dumbthingy

Why don't release this "fairly stable" phpBB 2.1?

Post by dumbthingy »

Because this page is using a "fairly stable" version of phpBB 2.1 (at least more stable than those snapshots), I wonder why it is not released for public testing, but only a buggy CVS snapshot of it?

Martin Blank

Re: Why don't release this "fairly stable" phpBB 2

Post by Martin Blank »

Because it's still under development. Significant sections of the codebase are still in flux, and people asking for changes from this base to the full release would be a major headache even if it were mentioned in 24-point bold underlined text on every page that it wouldn't be supported.

If you're not able to work with the CVS as is, then you'll have to be content to simply wait for the beta and RC releases.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

besides, I'm guessing that this demo-board here is really not as stable as it appears. Remember, as regular users, we can't see the bugs & stuff that affects ares such as the admin's panel, etc. ;)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Not too mention that you will find bugs quite often yourself on this board aswell, for example not being able to change your password, was a bug a few weeks ago.
-

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

"Releasing" a version would means support it, what probably - surely should I say :) - the devs don't want at this time. I'm afraid you will have to wait a little more ;). Meanwhile, you can have a look to the CVS snapshots, which give a very goo idea of what phpBB 2.2 will be in main draws.

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

which is a more "accurate" of phpbb v2.2:

The version upon which the code-base which this very forum is running on, or the CVS? :?
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

SamG

Post by SamG »

The developers point to these forums as a very good indication of what phpBB 2.2 will be like.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

but I thought I heard in another thread hear that the CVS, being made hourly, will allways be the most accurate picture of the progress towards the final version. Will the CVS's (released in between the beta, the RC, and the final) reflect the changes that will take place between the different beta's as those changes are made?

Sorry if this is kinda confussing........... ;)

SamG

Post by SamG »

From a features point of view, this board has reached the point where it represent phpBB 2.2 fairly accurately.

From a development point of view, CVS is generally considered the most current code.
BMWGuy wrote:... Will the CVS's (released in between ...
Just to note, "released" is the wrong word. CVS isn't a release tool in any sense of the word. It's the developers' workshop. By downloading CVS code, we're looking at what's on the lathe, or in the drill press, or on the radial arm saw. We aren't looking at a prototype or anything of the kind. We're looking at work in progress.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

Okay, thanks. :)