phpbb 2.2?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ptirhiik_

Re: phpbb 2.2?

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Actually there was a free entry product called vBLite, which has been stoped I think at release 2.1 of the main one.

carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

cyberCrank wrote:So to have estimated a 2004 release year was OK and perfectly acceptable and legitimate IMO (and noted in admiration for the development team).
Totally agree. If I could make one teeny criticism of the team here ( 8O ) it's that they shouldn't be so afraid of setting but then missing target dates. Paul has now said 2.2 might not be out this year. Is the whole phpBB community up in arms? Of course not. We understand that overruns happen and that, in this case, it means a better product will result from it

I suggest that without the pressure of a public end-2004 deadline, the current version would not be as far progressed as it is. Maybe the devs will deny that but honestly, it's human nature to respond to that pressure. And even more important when the 'commercial' incentive to deliver products is absent

Phew - got that off my chest :)
Using phpBB3 in the UK? - http://www.rpoints.com/phpbb

Nullius

Post by Nullius »

carpetbagger wrote:Totally agree. If I could make one teeny criticism of the team here ( 8O ) it's that they shouldn't be so afraid of setting but then missing target dates. Paul has now said 2.2 might not be out this year. Is the whole phpBB community up in arms? Of course not. We understand that overruns happen and that, in this case, it means a better product will result from it.
The problem is that they don't have ANY idea themselves when it will be released. If they all had too much spare time and all the developers started working on the beta day and night, the beta would probably be released by the end of next week or so.

BUT they don't have too much spare time and they do have a life outside of phpBB :)
That's why it is unpredictable when the beta will be released.
It would be dumb to set a date for it, as they don't know what the future will bring for them.
Like psoTFX said once, he had to fix a whole network area or something at work.
These are things that are not planned, and it makes the release date even more unpredictable.

I think that is the reason why they don't set a release date for 2.2 ;)
Greetzzz,
Nullius

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

I won't go into it again, but Invision Power Services (this occured prior to their going completely commericial) learned the hard way of why it is better not to set specific dates for release. All I'll say was that it was sorta mayhem over there when they released they just could release IPB on the day that they had promised.

But of course, IPB is now totally a commerical service, so I suppose they are now currently kind of obligated to release it when they promise.

moral of the story: it's better to not promise anyone anything more specific than a rough timeframe. :)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

feaelin

Post by feaelin »

Nullius wrote:If they all had too much spare time and all the developers started working on the beta day and night, the beta would probably be released by the end of next week or so.
I disagree... There is only so much code you can write/tweak in one sittting, before your brain begins to fry. It really pays to stop when you're getting tired, or starting to feel burnout twinges. The code you write after that is usually bleary, sloppy, and all too often extremely bugridden. Every time I get impatient and say "ah...I'll have this entire section done if I press on for a few more hours...", I end up losing more time to fixing the mistakes! :evil:

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

... I just get a strong coffee, not only motivates but postpones sleep for a while.
Rob

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

** and stirs the coffee with a teaspoon :) **

BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

But in many cases, sleep is good, since it allways seems to pass time rather quickley. Of course, I find the flavor of coffee to be a tad repulsive, so I never drink it. :) ;)

In relation to the topic, it all boils down to this:

1) You [all] are not the devolpers.

2) If you want to micro-mange the development progress of some software project, start-up your own software.

3) Complaining will do little more than irratate the hard-working developers

4) If the deveolpers are smart, they should totally ignore "when-will-it-be-done" threads by simply locking them without explanation, and leaving them to die.
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

Alagba

Post by Alagba »

cyberCrank wrote:** and stirs the coffee with a teaspoon :) **
well, do we all have to talk about stirring our coffees with a teaspoon or whatever on this forum? anyhow, if that keeps us coming back to area51, so be it.

long live the cofee drinkers at area51!