Support polecy question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
bjarne

Support polecy question

Post by bjarne »

I can well udersatand that the phpbb team don't want to support pre releas software, bu can someone explain to me what is wrog with users helping usesr, as long as they clearly state that dthey ar not bart of the team I see no problem.

ps:This is not a comment on the current poøecy just a reqest for the resoning behind it, keep up the good work.

Ptirhiik_

Re: Support polecy question

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Simply because there will be no support between CVS snapshots and release, and the product has to be understood highly unstable (as the code may change at any time, be broken at any place, including data lost).

SamG

Post by SamG »

Additionally, user-to-user leaves the forums scattered with potentially bogus "fixes." We have no idea how the code will change during development (as Ptirhiik_ noted), so user-supplied "fixes" could in fact break other things. There is no point in keeping a record of such stuff, no matter how useful it may be in the short term.

And since CVS/snapshots are available to use for the sole purpose of allowing us to look over the developers' shoulders as they work, there really is nothing to support. If users can't manage working with CVS/snapshots as they stand, they are better off waiting for a true release of phpBB, such as at the beta stage.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

bjarne

Post by bjarne »

SamG wrote:Additionally, user-to-user leaves the forums scattered with potentially bogus "fixes." We have no idea how the code will change during development (as Ptirhiik_ noted), so user-supplied "fixes" could in fact break other things. There is no point in keeping a record of such stuff, no matter how useful it may be in the short term.

And since CVS/snapshots are available to use for the sole purpose of allowing us to look over the developers' shoulders as they work, there really is nothing to support. If users can't manage working with CVS/snapshots as they stand, they are better off waiting for a true release of phpBB, such as at the beta stage.

Ok thanks for the explenation, it's easyer to accept and follow a rule that is clearly explaind.