phpbb 2.2 "advertising"

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
BMWGuy

phpbb 2.2 "advertising"

Post by BMWGuy »

It has come to my attention that there are many people out there who would definitely "convert" to phpbb 2.2 (once it is released) if they knew that there even was a v2.2 in the works.

phpbb 2.2 has new features that I'm sure would appeal to people who would notr have normally otherwise used the current version of phpbb 2.0.10.

I'm wondering if perhaps phpbb 2.2 could devise some form of a logo or picture for people to put in their signatures in emails and on other forums. The picture would be similar to the one that can be found on the main download page of http://www.phpbb.com/downloads." target="_blank

They key thing is that this new picture would specifically advertise the coming v2.2

just a thought.

I think it might be a successfull idea due to the success it has had for companies like Mozila (firefox/thunderbird), or GIMP, etc. ;)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:

grrrlromeo

Re: phpbb 2.2 "advertising"

Post by grrrlromeo »

I think it would be better to wait until an RC. I've known since January and it's only made me impatient. But I have been able to stop myself from uttering the "w" word. :lol: Seriously, we don't know what could happen between now and then. And as is there's already alot of irritation going on relating to the "w" word.
I can't delete my signature.

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

And version 2.2 will NEVER be released, it will be called 2.1....

TheSquire

Post by TheSquire »

The development version is called 2.1, once it is stable it will be 2.2.
It follows the naming of the linux kernel afaik, with a.b.c, where b is unstable when uneven and stable when even.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Yes, phpBB 2.2 is the next major release of phpBB, not phpBB 2.1.
grrrlromeo wrote:I think it would be better to wait until an RC. I've known since January and it's only made me impatient. But I have been able to stop myself from uttering the "w" word. Seriously, we don't know what could happen between now and then. And as is there's already alot of irritation going on relating to the "w" word.
I agree with this. In any event, it's possible that there are promotional ideas in process on an official level, but I dunno.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

delos

Post by delos »

yeah dont tell people so soon that the new version is coming. you'd just ruin their lives. they end up visiting area51 6 times a day just to see if there is any news. like me. blah.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Promoting 2.2 without anything ready would create confusion and people would just end up here asking when, when, WHEN?

But after 2.2 is relased, I think there should be a huge campaing.
Greetings to everyone...

kiltannen

Post by kiltannen »

delos wrote:they end up visiting area51 6 times a day just to see if there is any news. like me. blah.

I can SO relate to this!!! :mrgreen:

kilt
Check out my phpBB powered Book Database Site!
http://www.ibdof.com" target="_blank

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

I don't come for news, because I know there wont be any worth while until later this year. I am updated on the latest CVS, and I know how much further it has to go (coding wise, not time wise). And I, myself, am a developer, and I understand that it takes a long time to complete massive projects like this, especially when you have other things to do. This is on-the-side stuff. I spent eight months coding a CMS that is made for phpBB, then because a lack of research, I had to scrub all of that for 2.2. Now I continue after looking at this coding, alot different. But thats the way it goes, theres lots of dissapointments in coding...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Well good for you Solar, but if people start really advertising that 2.2 is coming most people will think that means it's coming very soon. When I first heard about it I thought that's what it meant until I did download a CVS and poked around with it. I keep coming back to see the new developments and such because my site is quite dependent on it. But really, most people aren't interested in that...they just want a final version they can use.

People who are developing around phpBB are more likely to research and find this place on their own. At least they should be able to since it's been mentioned numerous times on the main site. You'd have to be crazy to start developing something that's dependent on phpBB without reading the Latest News or Announcements sections on the main site at the very least.
I can't delete my signature.