Invision 2.0 is now under payment!! When out phpBB 2.2?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Nullius

Re: Invision 2.0 is now under payment!! When out phpBB 2.2?

Post by Nullius »

SolarFX wrote:Hehe. I know your kidding, if not, I get to hit you... real hard. ;)
:D
Greetzzz,
Nullius
0racle

Post by 0racle »

How about having a contest to guess the date? ;)

I guess 18th of december 2K4 ;)
hi
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

0racle wrote:How about having a contest to guess the date? ;)

I guess 18th of december 2K4 ;)
Na. Try 11:59PM_HST (Hawaii Standard Time) on December 31, 2004 :mrgreen:

Just kidding, I have worked on these projects too, and i know the precived deadline can change.
CLee

Post by CLee »

0racle wrote:How about having a contest to guess the date? ;)
There is already a contest running in Chit Chat.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
Traiklin

Post by Traiklin »

psoTFX wrote:It is actually a shame phpBB 2.2.0 isn't available ... I hope that those users who feel IPB is no longer for them take development of this board into consideration when deciding which way to go.

I must admit (as I say in my blog) that I find it a little amusing to see ex-IPB users tell others to switch to X board, where X board is free but with a closed source licencing regime. Do they not learn? Did they not just come from a board which promoted itself as being free but with a closed licence? Do they not see the potential for history to repeat itself? I'm not saying they should jump to phpBB (though if they do, great) but I do think they should stop thinking with their eyes (and what features X board may have by default) and start thinking with the grey matter contained behind them :D
I fell into that group,

When I first started making websites and using forums (I am MUCH better at modding forums then I am sites now thanks to phpbb :P) I only knew one forum to get, vBulliten. That was like the god of forums at my time (which I will call my n00b time) then as time went on the server I had sucked and didn't offer php or mysql so I went through a bunch of the cgi text based scrips and while most of them were great they were just so basic and boring then our host upgraded to PHP & MySQL and we started looking for them, we started with phpBB but since we were knew to it all it was VERY VERY intimidating, then we kept switching back & forth between phpbb & invision (mostly for conviniance) and we did that for a couple of months before finnaly picking and sticking with Invision for ease of use and it had more mods & skins we were after at the time (this was at 1.1 days phpbb was in it's 2.0 days I belive) and then after a while I forced myself to get used to phpBB cause I knew that it was overall the better forum system for a couple of reasons

1: It's free and there is no sort of Lisencing fee attached
2: For a while I had a feeling invision would eventually be going pay only (it came a lot later then I thought it would)
3: better skins
4: better support
5: there are only a handfull of skins that you HAVE to pay for for phpbb where as Invision the really GREAT looking skins you HAVE to pay for.

phpBB has such amazing skins (albiet they make it a pain in the backside to mod) that would EASILY go for $50+ on vBulliten.

I got my hands on a copy of vB and after using it for personal use for a couple of weeks I realized it was just like Invision (1.2 at the time) and I had learned after awhile that basically ANYTHING can be done in phpBB and the mods don't cost a dime (except for thoughs ultra mega ones) where as all the REALLY GOOD mods for vB cost you money.

I never got vB since it cost so much money for everything so I never found the appeal to it, then you have Invision which was great for starting out since it had so much stuff avalible at default and you didn't have to edit the skins everytime for a mod.

But as time went on I slowly started to realize that phpbb wasn't all THAT hard to mod, it just seemed like it was. If I encounter a mod that doesn't work with the skin (mostly it ended up being the subforums mod) I just don't use that skin is all problem solved.

So speaking as someone who has used the crappiest of forums to the greatest of forums, phpBB in the long run is the best bet. and I am truely happy they are sticking to their word and staying free.

Edit: Whoa, did not realize it was that big,

Summery: Used a ton of different boards, phpBB the best, glad they are staying free.

I cannot wait for 2.2 cause it is like everything I have been looking for in a forum :mrgreen:
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Hello all...
I barely post here (as my main concern wouldn't be allowed to be posted :) see, I know how to read the rules ;))
but I come to read topics from time to time.

After the great story of Traiklin (I totaly agree with him), I must say my piece of story... I had met some people on a gardening and cooking forum in 2001, which was done with vB, I was not the board founder. One day in 2002, the board founder and her husband (who was for me a computer guru) said they had no more time for a forum (lost interest or something) and asked me to take care of the place. At first, I said no, because it was in vB. I was a newbie on that, didn't know a single line of php, but still, I "felt" it was not a good solution. I told them I would prefer phpBB (I had done some research), but they tried to convience vB was better, said that the fee was only to be paid if I wanted to upgrade (if I recall correctly).

As they told me they were going to close it if I didn't take care of the site, and as other members were so happy of a friendly place to talk, I felt I had to "save it". So I kept as-is for the whole 2003, and at the same time, begun to "learn" how to use phpBB and, above all, I found the vB->convertor by Matthijs Van De Water (*bows down*) and that was the solution (keeping the old posts was important for that community). And I did it !! and added most of the Ptirhiik's mods + few others. And all is nice then!

I then used phpBB to build my own private site, and be-friended with some people on other boards and helped some at my level.

I will stick with phpBB. Not only because it will stay free: actually, I can pay for quality if it's needed, it's simply not needed here, because the best quality IS here free.

For the future of those sites, I will use phpBB2.2 and before that, I will upgrade my phpBB2 with the soon-to-be-released great Ptirhiik's categories hierarchy 2.1.0.

All the best to the phpBB team, to all the enthusiastic modders. I'm glad that php and GPL do exist.

Long life!
Patricia
---------
BrumalSolstice.com
Galga

Post by Galga »

guessing a release date is useless.. i think we should just rely on what psoTFX & the others of the phpBB staff always say: it will be released before the end of the year :D
SamG

Post by SamG »

Well, not entirely useless if people find entertainment value in it, as is the case with the topic in Chit Chat. :)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

You know whats kinda funny? Just now I realized that I don't care when it's released nowe. On one side, I can't wait, but on the other side... whats it matter? I've got a working forum right now, I can wait (but it still doesn't mean that on day one I won't be the first to download it). ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"
VaLUnTriAn

Post by VaLUnTriAn »

I'm beginning to get more and more skeptical as to the release date being this year. We'll see I guess.
VaLUnTriAn