Estimated Release

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
link92

Re: Estimated Release

Post by link92 »

sevengraff wrote:
ve4jhj wrote:the answer you will likely find is sometime this year.
That's consistently been the answer given by the offical team, but there are only 3 months left in 2004, and they aren't even at beta.
Always expect the unexpected...
Bored as hell. May as well put myself through the (X)HTML validator to see how invalid I am.
grön

Post by grön »

Corran wrote:I believe they stopped updating the publicly available roadmap to stop idea stealling.
Yhee becurse people that make own forum softwere cant download the CVS and find the ideas there... Humm greeat ideé :evil:
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

grön wrote:
Corran wrote:I believe they stopped updating the publicly available roadmap to stop idea stealling.
Yhee becurse people that make own forum softwere cant download the CVS and find the ideas there... Humm greeat ideé :evil:
Who said everything they have coded is in the CVS?

Dan
Foxfire

Post by Foxfire »

yup... as unfortunate as that is, the CVS is WAY behind this dev board. Or at least it was last time i checked.
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Who said everything they have coded is in the CVS?
There has even been hints from the developers themselves (pso in a not-too-distant post) that not all code and likely not all features are posted on CVS "snapshots" and likely not on this board either; so this gives a slighly different notion of the meaning of a "snapshot". So one might rightfully conclude that some limited closed-door development is likely or at least possible for some aspects of phpBB 2.2 and we will be blissfully surprised when the 2.2 beta is released. Sort of like getting a nice big Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas present, but also getting a few surpise "toys" in our stocking too; always loved digging down into the stocking to see what kind of extra goodies we would find in there :mrgreen:
nicopaul

Post by nicopaul »

I've noticed that the 'Report this Post' now works.. not that I've reported anything. ;)

Though it does seem to feel like they are now in the stages of fixing things up, I say we just stop hassling them with this.. they'll be done when they'll be done! :)

nico
nicopaul - known as "pianistsk8er" on the main site.

Visit my classical music website/forum.
Anjay

Post by Anjay »

I agree with nicopaul. phpBB is a great board, and I've been through many including a few commercial ones, so I'd know!

In my time [Boy do I feel soo old now], I've been through iKonBoard [Anyone remember that horrid CGI board?], XMB [It used to be great until Richard ruined it], OpenBB [But it was never stable enough], and wBB 1.1.1, and then I stumbled upon phpBB, however only started using it when phpBB 2.0.0 was released.

I even had a license of vBulletin once. I agree, vB is great however phpBB does everything I need so for me vB was a waste. And with the upcoming release of phpBB 2.2 I won't ever be able to move away.

What keeps me with phpBB? It's sleek look, and good selection of features. vB and IPB have so many features which you'll never use, and really none compare to phpBB in looks. Maybe it's just me, but I believe phpBB is so much more aesthetically pleasing.

But if I were to guess, I'd have to say sometime next year. Why? Well it's nearly the end of this year, and I don't think they are going to release it early just because we're so impatient! :P
Nullius

Post by Nullius »

Anjay wrote:I even had a license of vBulletin once. I agree, vB is great however phpBB does everything I need so for me vB was a waste. And with the upcoming release of phpBB 2.2 I won't ever be able to move away.
So what are the advantages of vBulletin ?
I'm daily visiting a forum that uses vBulletin 3.0.3 (or something .. just the latest version ;)), and I can't find a difference with phpBB 2.1.x.
The only thing I see is that vBulletin has a lot more support text when registering or changing profile ... but if your a bit handy with templating, that's also possible with phpBB.

I haven't looked very deeply into vBulletin, but I can't notice any difference with phpBB 2.1.x.
Maybe you can help me out ;)
Greetzzz,
Nullius
SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

I own one of each, and phpBB is way more stable and of higher quality than vBulletin by far. vBulletin may have the features, but we're looking at a forum here, a forum is a place where people post and communicate, it doesn't need to be much more than that, so I think that the current 2.0.10 beats any versiion of vBulletin because it is still of higher quality and stability.

Don't get me wrong, these new features that are being implemented for 2.1.x are great. The difference is that vBulletin has some useless features, and I think that I will use every last one of the new features on 2.2 as they will add to the overall high standard and ease of use. I have used plenty of boards, maybe not as many as Anjay, but all of the current ones, and phpBB is just the most comfortable for my needs, and my needs vary, I have alot of sites, and each of the needs are different. But phpBB seems to satisfy almost every need.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"
nicopaul

Post by nicopaul »

Very well said guys.

I believe the reason I chose phpBB over any other was because as a user I had really liked phpBB and had become very familiar with the interface. I also found that, out of IPB, vB and phpBB, phpBB had the most visually pleasing interface by far. Also, complete ease of use. Now that phpBB is implementing many new features, I still don't feel intimidated or confused as I did with the other boards. The developpers do a great job of making it a very easy board to use, and very pleasing to the eye. Also, making it easily edittable is a very nice thing to do, editting the templates in plain old HTML is very nice.

Cheers! :)
nicopaul - known as "pianistsk8er" on the main site.

Visit my classical music website/forum.