New VB out, New IPB out, New phpBB ___

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
th23

Re: New VB out, New IPB out, New phpBB ___

Post by th23 »

psoTFX wrote:
psoTFX wrote:No, they [IPS] have a "free trial"
I take that back ... they have a 15 day hosted trial ... well, it took them a little longer than we perhaps expected but they finally go all commercial.
May I correct you on that point: They still have a free trial, but they changed the definition of "trial" from that it can be an unlimited trial and they won't force anyone to buy a license to trial is only until you really want to use it...so it's only a short period.

th23
Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

th23 wrote:May I correct you on that point: They still have a free trial, but they changed the definition of "trial" from that it can be an unlimited trial and they won't force anyone to buy a license to trial is only until you really want to use it...so it's only a short period.
I recommend you read this: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.p ... pic=149069" target="_blank
No more free versions, no more trials. As of today they are now only commercial.
th23

Post by th23 »

OK, I'm sorry... I've to correct myself now... ;)

I was so sure that there still is a free trial, because I downloaded the new 2.0.0 product just yesterday to see how it's coded...

th23
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

the_dan wrote:
psoTFX wrote:
psoTFX wrote:No, they [IPS] have a "free trial"
I take that back ... they have a 15 day hosted trial ... well, it took them a little longer than we perhaps expected but they finally go all commercial.
How tragic
What are they doing to the existing users of the 'free' version?

Dan
It appears after looking their forums that they are loving having to pay for it :?

Odd....

Dan
olger901

Post by olger901 »

I remember when 1.0 got released they said they would always keep some free version, look at them now it seems money has made them blind. The fools.

I hate software which needs to be payed for I think software should be free made by a community with people who enjoy doing it not, be used to get money from people. (Open Source zealot here:P)
-
SamG

Post by SamG »

the_dan wrote:It appears after looking their forums that they are loving having to pay for it :?

Odd....
Traffic is "heavier" when the who's online list's history is one hour. I'm not saying they have no traffic, just that they are showing an hour's worth of traffic at a time.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

olger901 wrote:I remember when 1.0 got released they said they would always keep some free version, look at them now it seems money has made them blind. The fools.
I read a thread about that.
Apparently it was never said, and was just a rumor.
All the posts were removed from the forum at the time of the announcement as well, so I guess we'll never know :)
SamG wrote:Traffic is "heavier" when the who's online list's history is one hour. I'm not saying they have no traffic, just that they are showing an hour's worth of traffic at a time.
I was more refering to the multiple 'wow, it's much better having to pay' posts there were around :)

Dan
SamG

Post by SamG »

Oh, I'm sorry. I did see a few of those -- "I have two lifetime licences and am proud of it."

Well, the old Ikonboard community always was a loyal group. Down with JEG, up with IPS. Obviously.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
phpbb lover

Post by phpbb lover »

They said, they always put free version available. They said that. All people using IPB before would know this.
I hope you guys know the reason Matt makes IPB free when it first comes out. :roll: :roll: :roll:
kuato

Post by kuato »

the_dan wrote:
olger901 wrote:I remember when 1.0 got released they said they would always keep some free version, look at them now it seems money has made them blind. The fools.
I read a thread about that.
Apparently it was never said, and was just a rumor.
All the posts were removed from the forum at the time of the announcement as well, so I guess we'll never know :)
Behold the power of Google :) http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:_b ... 03799.html" target="_blank

Page down a bit where you see Matt's response.

I don't have a problem paying for IPB 2.0 but I don't think it's a wise decision to not offer 1.3 for free anymore. Only time will tell.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2